Upgrading cartridge. Would a phono stage make a difference?

beneditobeleleu

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

this is my first post on this forum, so thanks for reading.

I'm planning on upgrading my vinyl listening experience, so want to change my cartridge. Any recommendations? It's not for scratch, and am planning on spending something from £80 to £150. The cartridge itself is new.

Another question I have is to do with adding a phono stage to the system. Would it improve the sound quality?

Thanks a lot!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Yes, to answer your second question first, you have a good deck there and it deserves a seperate phono stage to release it's performance. As to what cartridge? try a Denon DL-110, an Ortofon 2M blue for starters.

There's a multitude of choice which I'm sure others will also point you towards :)

Welcome to the madness!

No disagreement with Denon and Ortofon, I've owned both over the years. Maybe also consider Shure M97xe, Grado to suit your budget, and Goldring, or for a Japanese match, Audio Technica.

For the money, I'd not bother with a separate phono stage as to improve on your Yamaha you'd be looking at £200 plus, which would be money better spent on the cartridge (and servicing your Technics TT if it is getting on a bit).

There is a seperate Turntable topic here and I suggest reading through the many cartridge recommendations there.

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
If you are using a high output moving coil like the Denon DL110, there is less need for a separate phono stage. Low output moving coils are another story and can benefit from a phono stage like the Clearaudio Nano or Musical Surroundings which offer adjustable loading for the LOMC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts