Upgrading Arcam CD72: DAC or new CD player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been considering buying the Arcam DAC to upgrade my ageing CD player or would the Audiolab m-dac be better? ( I like the headphone amp facility here)

Or would it be better to just replace the cd player?

Comments appreciated

lewis hurlin

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking the same about 4 months ago I had a CD73 which I thought sounded a little clinical. I picked up a Rotel RCD970bx and noticed a huge improvement with a much warmer sound and better all round improvement I am going to sell this to get a MArantz CD63 mk2 KI which I think will be my journeys end. As the previous reply states all depends on your other equipment and leads

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, i found cd players genarelly have a pretty good dac themselves and having tried a DAC ( beresford caiman with gator upgrade) on a Marantz cd48 and Arcam alpha 1 cd player I did not think they made much difference to justify the outlay (for the cd player anyway).

A

Anonymous

I use a cyrus 6 amp and kef foorstanding speakers with qed leads - never really spent lots on interconnects- any ideas?

linkstown said:
I use a cyrus 6 amp and kef foorstanding speakers with qed leads - never really spent lots on interconnects- any ideas?

I would look at Cyrus CD6S. I've seen them on auction sites for around £200-£300. If you like Arcam sound there's a couple of nice CD82 going on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCAM-DIVA-CD82-TEXT-CD-PLAYER-IMMACULATE-BOXED-REMOTE-GUIDE-82T-82-/320913296857?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item4ab7ec4dd9. Otherwise, Rega Apollo or Exposure 2010S.

I don't think Arcams rDac will be a significant upgrade on your CD72 - it has a pretty good dac already, although I could be wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts