Upgrading amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I am in the market for a new amp and have a budget of £400 max. I'm looking to take the next step up from my Rotel and realise that i will probably have to go ex-demo or used. I've shortlisted three amps - Arcam A18, Mira 3 and Creek Evo 1 although am open to other suggestions.

The A18 would seem the logical choice with system synergy but my concern is this could be too laid back and lacking dynamics. There have been mixed reviews about this amp although reading MPs posts he really rates it.

The Mira 3 i have read that they are best matched with their own brand source like the Apollo, is bass light and again a bit laid back in its presentation.

The Creek Evo i have also read is very smooth and lacking dynamics.

I know that auditioning is the way to go but I am not comfortable spending hours in a shop and walking out to buy elsewhere.

Answers on a Postcard please.

Tony Warwick:

Hi all, I am in the market for a new amp and have a budget of £400 max. I'm looking to take the next step up from my Rotel and realise that i will probably have to go ex-demo or used. I've shortlisted three amps - Arcam A18, Mira 3 and Creek Evo 1 although am open to other suggestions.

The A18 would seem the logical choice with system synergy but my concern is this could be too laid back and lacking dynamics. There have been mixed reviews about this amp although reading MPs posts he really rates it.

The Mira 3 i have read that they are best matched with their own brand source like the Apollo, is bass light and again a bit laid back in its presentation.

The Creek Evo i have also read is very smooth and lacking dynamics.

I know that auditioning is the way to go but I am not comfortable spending hours in a shop and walking out to buy elsewhere.

Answers on a Postcard please.

From what I heard about the EBs the A18 should be fine. The A18 has a sound for all occasions: Arcams in general are great for long listening sessions, which means they'll take a while before you really appreciate them. However, if you're looking for an instant impact amp look at either Roksan LIII or Rotel RA06 - all the amps mentioned will match well with the CD73T.

As regards the Creek Evo MKI, can't really comment; heard the MKII which is my favourite sub-£1,000 integrated amps. Rega not heard, although some say on here they can be a little edgy in presentation.

A

Anonymous

Hi Tony, do you enjoy the sound of your current Rotel? Perhaps a step up the range would be the way to go, if so. I have recently returned a Rega Mira as I found the treble too bright. However, you might like it if you're keen on a forward-sounding system.

A

Anonymous

After texting me last night to check it was ok to come round, the guy who was coming round tonight to buy my rotel has just texted and just said 'can't make it tonight and cant afford it anyway'. Why do people do that
emotion-7.gif
If you can't afford it, why make arrangements to come round!

So for the moment as far as a new amp goes, all bets are off.
emotion-6.gif

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
You have a good source and speakers. If I were you I would keep saving the pennies and take a really large step-up in the amp stakes as and when you can afford. I have learn't the hard way that small 'upgrades' are barely worth it cost more in the long run...

TRENDING THREADS