Upgrading 1980s System

Flat2020

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi All - I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my (mostly) 1980s HiFi which comprises of: Linn Axis Turntable with Basik Plus Arm and Rega Bias Cartridge (recently serviced when Bias was fitted), Quad 44 Pre Amp / Quad 606 MK1 Power Amp (both serviced by Quad about 10 years ago), Tannoy Jupiter MKII Speakers (these replaced the original KEF 104.2 I had when I moved to smaller house - I had the Tannoys anyway) - I have owned all of this since new. In general I love the sound of the system, although something doesn't seem quite right - but I struggle to put exactly what into words, andI am well aware it is very old now. I would like to start replacing with modern components but unsure where to start. My first thought was the speakers as these being mechanical could wear, and thought a pair of KEF R5s would be a good start (I loved the 104.2s and space is not so much of an issue now). I have about 2-3K to start with and plan to put some more in over next couple of years.

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you had avery nice setup back in the day.
Personal, assuming vinyl is your main source, I would start from either end....
Keep your very good amp set-up as you're going to have to spend a great deal to better it.
Keep turntable but replace that Rega Bias cartridge with something much better and replace the speakers with a modern pair that suit your listening room.
If you can audition the R5s at home....

Reactions: matthewpianist

Flat2020

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you had avery nice setup back in the day.
Personal, assuming vinyl is your main source, I would start from either end....
Keep your very good amp set-up as you're going to have to spend a great deal to better it.
Keep turntable but replace that Rega Bias cartridge with something much better and replace the speakers with a modern pair that suit your listening room
The bias was recommended by my local dealer - I managed to damage the original K9 and he said it would be a good replacement. My issue is there is something I'm not happy with that seems to happen in the upper mid range possible a distortion but only at lower levels - once the dynamics increase I don't hear it. I thought it was the turntable but have played same recording on CD through system and still notice it. I think the speakers may be suffering with coil scrape hence why I think that's the place to start.

The bias was recommended by my local dealer - I managed to damage the original K9 and he said it would be a good replacement. My issue is there is something I'm not happy with that seems to happen in the upper mid range possible a distortion but only at lower levels - once the dynamics increase I don't hear it. I thought it was the turntable but have played same recording on CD through system and still notice it. I think the speakers may be suffering with coil scrape hence why I think that's the place to start.
Agree on speakers, also think that Rega Bias is pretty cheap and certainly not the equivalent of the K9, which was manufactured by Audio Technica. We can assume it has been correctly set-up by your dealer.
Your deck is capable of taking a much better cartridge and this, to my mind, might help alleviate your issues.

Flat2020

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
Agree on speakers, also think that Rega Bias is pretty cheap and certainly not the equivalent of the K9, which was manufactured by Audio Technica. Your deck is capable of taking a much better cartridge and this, to my mind, might help alleviate your issues.

Any suggestions on a cartridge? Any tips on fitting myself? Obviously the physical fitting is straightforward enough but in the past I struggle with alignment. Can I just bolt it on and align the cartridge, or will I need to make adjustments to the arm as well?

Any suggestions on a cartridge? Any tips on fitting myself? Obviously the physical fitting is straightforward enough but in the past I struggle with alignment. Can I just bolt it on and align the cartridge, or will I need to make adjustments to the arm as well?
Nice set-up you have.

I tend to agree with @bigfish786 you need to fathom out where the fault is, otherwise s#ds law, you'll upgrade and still won't sound right. Unfortunately this'll be a process of elimination.

With a decent alignment protractor and a set of scales you should be able to do this yourself. The required devices can be obtained pretty cheaply but if in doubt get a dealer to do it for you.
The obvious choice for replacement cartridge is the Audio Technica AT95ML, basically a modern day equivalent of the K9, this will negate any need to play around with VTA once fitted

Flat2020

Mar 11, 2023
Visit site
With a decent alignment protractor and a set of scales you should be able to do this yourself. The required devices can be obtained pretty cheaply but if in doubt get a dealer to do it for you.
The obvious choice for replacement cartridge is the Audio Technica AT95ML, basically a modern day equivalent of the K9, this will negate any need to play around with VTA once fitted
I had looked at the AT95 then also looked at Goldring 1042 - good idea / bad idea?

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I have a Linn Axis too. Cracking bit of kit. Still currently running a low hours K9 cartridge and stylus but it needs replacing. The cart of choice is the RigB conversion of the AudioTechnica AT95 with a Paratrace or MicroLine stylus. If you are on Facebook search for RigB or Simon Clarke. Apparently it's the best bang for your buck for that deck/arm combo. It's on my upgrade path, but need a new CD player first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts