Upgraded from NAD C352 to C356 - Speakers now too shrill

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am just after some advice. I have recently upgraded my NAD amp from a C352 to C356 and am now finding my speakers sound much too shrill to the point where it is painful to listen to. My speakers are Modraunt Short Aviano XR. Previously with the C352 I had a nice warm sound with clear highs and tight bass. My understanding is that the NAD amps are generally warm sounding so I believe I may be looking at new speakers to rectify this.

My set up is in a small, heavily furnished room. The speakers are wall mounted in the corners. What speakers will give me back the warm sound I once had with the C352?

Thanks in advance

Steve

A

Anonymous

Can't you go back to C352? Sounds a bit like swallowing the spider to catch the fly...

A

Anonymous

My C352 gave up the ghost. I thought upgrading would be the way to go. I am pretty sure the C356 would sound fine with the right speakers.

A

Anonymous

That isnt a NAD trait full stop; the C356BEE is a belter of an amp and not forward in any way

Have you checked that the treble hasnt been moved all the way to max in error? It'd also be handy to know what speaker cable and interconnects youre using?

IMO your amp deserves better speakers as well; the likes of B&W, Monitor Audio and KEF will all work well with the NAD...

I've just sold my NAD C355BEE integrated amp out of my 2nd system as I've bought the Marantz CR603. The NAD really drovbe the M/A RX2's I've got superbly so I'd highly recommend them or the M/A RX1's. The B&W 685's and CM5's also work superbly with the NAD amps...

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it. I am using Gale speaker cable and Cambridge Audio interconnects. I will check out the speakers you mentioned. It is re-assuring to know that it's not the amp that is causing this shrill.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the bass and treble are both set flat. I actually use the Tone Defeat. Also the M/A RX2's are 6ohms. Is this ok for the C356 as it only mentions 2,4 and 8 on the spec? I occasionally drive my amp hard, not to the point of clipping, but how will this affect 6ohm speakers?

Thanks again.

steveyb said:
Hi guys,

I am just after some advice. I have recently upgraded my NAD amp from a C352 to C356 and am now finding my speakers sound much too shrill to the point where it is painful to listen to. My speakers are Modraunt Short Aviano XR. Previously with the C352 I had a nice warm sound with clear highs and tight bass. My understanding is that the NAD amps are generally warm sounding so I believe I may be looking at new speakers to rectify this.

My set up is in a small, heavily furnished room. The speakers are wall mounted in the corners. What speakers will give me back the warm sound I once had with the C352?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Have to agree that Nad aren't traditionally shrill. In saying that, there have been 2 or 3 threads over the past 2 years expressing the same problem.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nad-326bee-shrill

T

the record spot

Have a look at the new Castle Knight range - apparently a worthwhile candidate to audition or shortlist. Might be nearer to what you're looking for.

A

Anonymous

steveyb said:
Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it. I am using Gale speaker cable and Cambridge Audio interconnects. I will check out the speakers you mentioned. It is re-assuring to know that it's not the amp that is causing this shrill.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the bass and treble are both set flat. I actually use the Tone Defeat. Also the M/A RX2's are 6ohms. Is this ok for the C356 as it only mentions 2,4 and 8 on the spec? I occasionally drive my amp hard, not to the point of clipping, but how will this affect 6ohm speakers?

Thanks again.

It wont dont worry... The M/A RX2's would lap up the NAD's grunt and spit it back out with avengance
smiley-cool.gif

The NAD amps are solid and gutsy; they'll drive all sorts of speakers with ease. My RX2's (whioch I'm still trying to sell) lapped up the NAD C355BEE's power and sang to their hearts content!

A

Anonymous

How does the mid bass sound on the RX2's with the C355? I listen to mostly rock, reggae and the very occasional dance and the C352 with the Aviano XR's had a very nice punch to the mid bass. This is what I am trying to achieve again with the C356 minus the shrill I am experiencing.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if any of the advocates of "amps sound the same" and "ABX testing" fraction read this thread... :)

back to the topic. I think looking for a new set of speakers may not be the right thing to do. cheaper speakers do not have the resolution of the more expensive ones. so if you chose to buy more expensive speakers, as they would "match the amp better' you'd find out you have more of the nastiness you already have. I think the culprit here is the amp. maybe it's faulty? just guessing though. but it's even worse if the amp is ok...

A

Anonymous

The midrange, bass and treble all sound superb with the M/A RX2's and the NAD C355BEE and C356BEE integrated amps (I demo'd both but bought the C355BEE as it was on an amazing offer)...

I listen to a lot of rock, metal, dance and electronica music so the midrange and bass had to be detailed yet punchy whereas the treble needed to crisp & clear but not harsh in any ways...

FYI I did demo some of the Mordaunt Short floorstanding speakers and I have to be honest; I did find them a touch bright at times; more so when listened to side by side with the likes of Monitor Audio, B&W, QUAD and Acoustic Energy speakers

hifilover1979 said:
The midrange, bass and treble all sound superb with the M/A RX2's and the NAD C355BEE and C356BEE integrated amps (I demo'd both but bought the C355BEE as it was on an amazing offer)...

I listen to a lot of rock, metal, dance and electronica music so the midrange and bass had to be detailed yet punchy whereas the treble needed to crisp & clear but not harsh in any ways...

FYI I did demo some of the Mordaunt Short floorstanding speakers and I have to be honest; I did find them a touch bright at times; more so when listened to side by side with the likes of Monitor Audio, B&W, QUAD and Acoustic Energy speakers

Sorry to side step the thread...

Tonally, how do the MS compare to MA RS6s? I've only ever heard the 902s and 914, but not in my home.

A

Anonymous

Brighter and not as refined IMO PP

The speakers I demo'd were the Aviano 6's and the Mezzo 6's... Never again
smiley-sealed.gif

A

Anonymous

Very interesting comments, particularly your findings when demoing the MS Floor Standers. I am going to demo some RX2's when I have the cash to splash. Thanks for your responses, they have been most helpful.

A

Anonymous

With the NAD C356BEE; you'll love the M/A RX2's believe me
smiley-cool.gif

Just make sure they're on decent stands (preferably mass loaded) as they're BIG standmount speakers with their 8" driver! Also; make sure they're run in a bit as they do sound a little wooden/boxy when new

hifilover1979 said:
With the NAD C356BEE; you'll love the M/A RX2's believe me
smiley-cool.gif

Just make sure they're on decent stands (preferably mass loaded) as they're BIG standmount speakers with their 8" driver! Also; make sure they're run in a bit as they do sound a little wooden/boxy when new

Ooo, that's a little OTT saying: "You'll love the M/A RX2's believe me". You must know that pinning your colours so firmly to a certain combo can backfire big time. This hobby sooo subjective, hence why I usually say go and audition a few different brands, if poss.

I know what you're saying because I love the combo I've got, but I'd be loathed to say, "believe me" or "trust me".

The other speakers, which are rarely mentioned on here, and certainly worth checking out, are Usher S-520s. Heard them with Arcam A18 and CD17 and were staggering for the money. The reason I don't mention them very often is because they only received three stars from WHFI. Certainly, if I was in the market for a top quality standmount for £350, they'd be top of my audition list.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The WHF review of the C356BEE describes it as potentially problematic in this area. I was thinking of getting one to match my C545 player but now not so sure.
Anyone tried the phono stage?

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The WHF review of the C356BEE describes it as potentially problematic in this area. I was thinking of getting one to match my C545 player but now not so sure.
Anyone tried the phono stage?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've partnered the NAD C356BEE with Harbeth P3ESRs with very agreeable results, mainly a very detailed, crisp sound.

A slightly cheaper alternative might be the Elac BS243 which offers something different with its ribbon ("Jet'') tweeter.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you are suffering from two componants with similar traits, that when combined, are exagerating each others' characteristics. Both amp and speakers have a confident, ballsy sound that then becomes too much when coupled together.

I also think the suggestion of Castle Speakers (eg. Knight) is very sensible. Harbeth's are even better, but expensive.

The way to go (IMO), if it's not out of budget, would be the Spendor SP3/1P that are currently being sold by Sevenoaks Brighton @ £799 on Ebay, (ie.1/2 price). There is one pair left and would tame the Nad nicely.

Cno

A

Anonymous

I've spent about 10 hours on the amp. I wasn't aware amps had a run in time? I know that speakers need running in time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steveyb said:
I've spent about 10 hours on the amp. I wasn't aware amps had a run in time? I know that speakers need running in time.

There should be a subtle change where the rough edges are smoothed over a bit. It is unlikely that there will be a complete change of character.

Always make sure that it is "warmed up" before serious listening...some people leave on standby to help this, as amp never goes completely cold.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts