Upgrade system to match my B&W 685s speakers.

I recently got my hands on a pair of B&W 685s speakers. My system at present now comprises of a 30 year old NAD 3240 PE amp ( now beginning to creak a bit) and Marantz CD 6005. With so much choice out there at the moment I'm getting a little confused as to which way to go along the upgrade path in terms of bringing the best out of my speakers. I feel I should start with the amp ( top end budget around £500). Next year I would want to upgrade the CD player on a similar budget.

I listen mostly to indie rock and Americana folky stuff although generally I have a broad taste in music including old blues and a lit of sixties psychedelia.

Thanks in advance

Brian Hickey said:
I recently got my hands on a pair of B&W 685s speakers. My system at present now comprises of a 30 year old NAD 3240 PE amp ( now beginning to creak a bit) and Marantz CD 6005. With so much choice out there at the moment I'm getting a little confused as to which way to go along the upgrade path in terms of bringing the best out of my speakers. I feel I should start with the amp ( top end budget around £500). Next year I would want to upgrade the CD player on a similar budget.

I listen mostly to indie rock and Americana folky stuff although generally I have a broad taste in music including old blues and a lit of sixties psychedelia.

Thanks in advance

As always I would recommend getting out and auditioning whatever you can. Make sure it has all the facilities you might need in the future, if CD is going to be your only source there are plenty in your price range, including Marantz, that will do your speakers justice.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Rotel amps are said to go very well with the B&W's.

definately put one on your shortlist, although 685 probably not that hard to drive vs some other B&W speakers.

rainsoothe

Brian Hickey said:
Thanks guys and gals. I'll add the Denon to my ever expanding list. Any views on Arcam A19.

Hi. Yes, it's a must on any audition list in that budget. My favourite from what I auditioned. You could also give Rotel a try, I have only (briefly) heard the RA1570 from the latest offerings and it's not bad, but doesn't compare to Arcam.

Marantz PM8005 is also worth auditioning.

matthewpiano

The first time I heard a Denon PMA720ae was with some 685s and the combination (with the matching Denon CD player) sounded superb. Rotel are usually a nice match with B&W as well, so perhaps one of their integrateds could be worth an audition.

As for your CD player, I'd stick with what you've got. You aren't going to gain anything by spending £500 on another one. The Marantz you have is excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts