Upgrade streamer.

Kpnuts168

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I currently use a Naim NAC 272 streamer connected to my Griffon Diablo 300 amp. I am considering upgrading the streamer to the Naim ND555. Any advice most welcome. Thanks

The top Naim might make sense in an all Naim system for the well-heeled fan. But imo it’s an outlier using deliberately obsolete parts and is inferior in engineering terms to the top-flight DACs using FGPA designs from the likes of Linn in the new generation Klimax DSM, and Chord in the DAVE.

The Linn includes a streamer; the Chord you could use with something like an Auralic.

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
From a personal view even in 2022 streaming tech is moving so fast that even for the well-healed it really doesn't make a lot of sense to spend big in all honesty. I was looking at the 272 back in 2018 though a fantastic device i came to pretty much to the same conclusion.

Sound-wise as has always been the case with naim, it pretty much sounds the same as you move up the ladder but you get a little more sprinkled into the mix, this can be a double edge sword. If you're only making small jumps up the ladder it can feel underwhelming. Large jumps are met with really big gains with a familiar sound that you're used to.

The die-hard fans are like roadies (road cyclists) they like to have everything just so and like to have full naim stacks, fine if that's your thing.

Personally, you can get the same but more versatile sound far cheaper and in some cases better sounding. Streamer wise i'd certainly look to spend no more than a blue sound, heck a raspberry pie and spend more on a stand-alone DAC of your choosing that can sit in the system for decades to come. To echo the above i'd be looking to more forward-thinking companies such as PS audio or if you want to keep it British chord.

Reactions: Al ears

Kpnuts168

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
If I didn't already have a Pi - and even if I had money to burn - I'd 'settle' for nothing more expensive than an ifi Audio Zen Stream into a decent DAC.....and decent does not necessarily mean expensive.
I have a budget and want the best I can get within it. Good advice though, thanks.

Reactions: Gray

Kpnuts168

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
From a personal view even in 2022 streaming tech is moving so fast that even for the well-healed it really doesn't make a lot of sense to spend big in all honesty. I was looking at the 272 back in 2018 though a fantastic device i came to pretty much to the same conclusion.

Sound-wise as has always been the case with naim, it pretty much sounds the same as you move up the ladder but you get a little more sprinkled into the mix, this can be a double edge sword. If you're only making small jumps up the ladder it can feel underwhelming. Large jumps are met with really big gains with a familiar sound that you're used to.

The die-hard fans are like roadies (road cyclists) they like to have everything just so and like to have full naim stacks, fine if that's your thing.

Personally, you can get the same but more versatile sound far cheaper and in some cases better sounding. Streamer wise i'd certainly look to spend no more than a blue sound, heck a raspberry pie and spend more on a stand-alone DAC of your choosing that can sit in the system for decades to come. To echo the above i'd be looking to more forward-thinking companies such as PS audio or if you want to keep it British chord.
I am now looking to add the purpose-built DAC to the Griffon 300, it comes highly recommended.

shadders

Hi,
If you have Naim equipment, and want to stick to the same brand, then the ND555 is perhaps your next step.

What is wrong with your current Naim streamer ?

I have a budget and want the best I can get within it. Good advice though, thanks.
As technology progresses - then equipment becomes obsolete or unsupported, as said by others.

I checked the price for the ND555 and it is quoted as £16.5k. For a streamer with inbuilt DAC, for this price, then i would not purchase.

A streamer is just an embedded system (PC), and £16.5k is a lot of money for an embedded system with a DAC built in.

So, i would select a reasonably cheap streamer circa £500, and spend a reasonable sum on the DAC. Auditioning DAC's allows you to select the one preferred without Naim deciding for you as per the ND555.

The money saved can be spent on other things, hifi related or not. I would also be careful about the foo out there too.

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts