Upgrade plinth

Mickfromdenmark

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello I have fallen into temptation of "upgrading" the plinth of my Thorens td-160s. Mostly due to getting a custom and more voluminous look.

Question is: Will it sound better or just give a different look? Hence i have read numerous threads, where one states that it does ( lp12 believers) And other says that it does nothing to the sound because of the subchassis being suspended from the face/top plate.

Does any of you have experience with changing plinth on a td-160, if so what change did you notice beside the visual one of course, if any.

What material was the plinth you've tried made of, MDF with veneer or solid timber? Lacquered or oiled?

Regards Mick

Mickfromdenmark said:
Hello I have fallen into temptation of "upgrading" the plinth of my Thorens td-160s. Mostly due to getting a custom and more voluminous look.

Question is: Will it sound better or just give a different look? Hence i have read numerous threads, where one states that it does ( lp12 believers) And other says that it does nothing to the sound because of the subchassis being suspended from the face/top plate.

Does any of you have experience with changing plinth on a td-160, if so what change did you notice beside the visual one of course, if any.

What material was the plinth you've tried made of, MDF with veneer or solid timber? Lacquered or oiled?

Regards Mick

I've never owned one Mick but an upgrade that makes it look better to you is always worthwhile. If firmly believe that a plinth on a turntable of this type would not effect sound quality but improved feet might help the isolation and give an apparent effect.

LP12 owners are a law unto themselves... ;-)

ifor said:
... with Inspire HiFi.

To be honest, although good, the cost of shipping item from Denmark, for what is only a cosmetic improvement seems a tad extreme. If he can source a new plinth locally and install himself then it might be q worthwhile improvement.

Failing that, upgrade the cartridge.

Mickfromdenmark

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I have ordered a plinth from Russ Collinson, as i like his work. Larger version than he normally makes, width instead of regular 22mm will be 45mm, and height is 100mm with the base concealed/flush to the plinth. In oak with antique stain. Hope it will look superb. Also ive ordered a solid SME armboard from soundsupports only 37£ lets see if its an upgrade or not, so i can toss the original plastic one. I will post pictures of it when everything has arrived and ive put it back together.

More upgrades will follow! *music2*

Regards Mick

Mickfromdenmark

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys here some photos of the new plinth. Regards to Russ for a fantastic job. Quarter sawn beauty!

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

TRENDING THREADS