Upgrade path,

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I hope you can give me some advice here!

I have been out of the Hi Fi market for some time due to work, travelling, and not really having any “fixed abode” but now I have a permanent home, for the time being at least! (In Germany)

So now I need to play catch up and would like some ideas on the best path to upgrade my aging equipment.

I am not in a position to change everything at once, and nothing is broken, but I need a sensible upgrade path to follow.

My equipment is as follows, Myryad T-20 CD, T-40 integrated amp, and T-60 power amp, bi-wired to B&W CDM7 Special editions with exposure electronics cable. It must all be 10 years old or more now.

In my “new” home, which is a very open plan design, the speakers are in a free space, no corners or walls to worry about, but they are not so far apart and not too far from the listening position, about 3 meters apart and a similar distance to the listening position (with a wall behind).

My main listening at the moment is modern electric Blues/light rock music (My last album was Joe Bonamassa) but I have amassed a wide collection over the years and still play most of it from time to time.

Many thanks,

A

Anonymous

Since you're in Germany I'd go and listen to Canton and Elac speakers. The Canton Vento series is a step up from the CMs you have.

T

the record spot

What's the problem with the sound you hear just now in relation to the kind of sound you want to hear? Too muddy, too bright, not detailed enough, too detailed...etc?

A

Anonymous

I guess I am looking for a little more detail, maybe a little more bottom end.

T

the record spot

Martin V:I guess I am looking for a little more detail, maybe a little more bottom end.

You could do worse than the Leema Pulse amplifier (the outgoing model) which is going for a good discount with some retailers just now (half price or thereabouts). A very crisp and detailed amplifier, with a fine bass. Build is exemplary at full price and a bonus at half that.

As an alternative, seek out Audiolab's present range of amps and you've a good selection here. Several dealers have the range down in price, most likely ahead of some new gear coming from the company (a new CDP is on the near horizon, so more will probably follow). The 8000S integrated amp is around £350, the 8000Q pre-amplifier can be had for £299 and the 8000P and M power and mono-power amps can be found for similar money. In effect, you could have a very high quality pre/power/power for £1000. If that's an excessive hit on the bank account, you can go for the pre and stereo power amp for about £600, or the integrated 8000S with the option to add a power amp when funds allow.

Phew!

CDP-wise, plenty of options, Marantz, Cambridge, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and more right down to a supermarket special for £20...take your pick. The option to add offboard digital to analogue conversion (DAC) means many of the players out there now could act as a transport and leave the DAC to handle the data. Or there's the whole computer based approach. "HiFi" is fast becoming an outdated term both in how music is accessed and in relation to the traditional source-amp-speakers, so it's a time of great development and greater possibility in how you choose to hear it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, I have something to think about/ research now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts