Upgrade Path - Particularly for Marantz CD-52

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I gradually put together a hifi which I am very happy with but haven't altered for probably 13 years. Now the drawer has broken on the Marantz CD player. My main need is therefore to upgrade the CD player, but advice on what component upgrade would make the most difference would be gratefully received.

• Speakers Mordaunt Short MS20
  • Amp NAD 3020A
  • CD Marantz CD-52
I was poorly advised that a Cambridge Audio CD5 would be OK, but it isn't, so I am now thinking either CA Azur (340/540/640?) or the Marantz CD 6002.

John Duncan

Well I love the 640, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it but for the fact that the Marantz is better value now. Either are excellent and will comfortably live with upgrades to your amp and speakers should you later wish.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Ever impatient, I went and got the Marantz 6002. Its does the job really well. Remarkably similar to my old CD52, but a little smoother and crisper, with better definition. That should do the trick for a while now.

What should I go for next? Those MS20s or the NAD Amp?

John Duncan

Well I'm not a huge fan of the NAD amp, but am also a bit contrary in that I would rather have a reasonably good CD player, a good amp, and fantastic speakers. My system's not quite like that, but will be in the fullness of time. So speakers first for me, but go and try different combos and see which sounds best to you.

T

the record spot

if you fancy approaching things from a slightly different angle - and particularly if you're NAD is in good working order - your amp is no bad unit and you can (if memory serves) opt to add a power amp. The 3020 & 3020A having good pre-amps built in and not half bad phono stages.

You might be able to find a used NAD power-amp and try them out. Alternatively, I hear the Roksan Kandy power amp is pretty good with a wide range of different manufacturers' pre-amps, although this will set you back around £600 alone.

Whatever you choose, happy hunting - as a last word, I'd be inclined to spend more time on the source and amp (anod not necessarily money) , being as the speakers will only relay what's going in to them.

John Duncan

[quote user="the record spot"]if you fancy approaching things from a slightly different angle - and particularly if you're NAD is in good working order - your amp is no bad unit and you can (if memory serves) opt to add a power amp. The 3020 & 3020A having good pre-amps built in and not half bad phono stages.

You might be able to find a used NAD power-amp and try them out. Alternatively, I hear the Roksan Kandy power amp is pretty good with a wide range of different manufacturers' pre-amps, although this will set you back around £600 alone.

Whatever you choose, happy hunting - as a last word, I'd be inclined to spend more time on the source and amp (anod not necessarily money) , being as the speakers will only relay what's going in to them.
[/quote]

Agreed, absolutely. Where we differ I think is that CD players nowadays are rather better at producing what's going in to the amp and speakers than they used to be, and you can therefore 'get away' with a budget CD player with rather more expensive ancillaries, and this effect - to me, I stress again - has always been most marked in loudspeakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts