Upgrade passive sub-woofer

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Quick question I hope someone can help with. Years ago I first ventured into home cinema with an entry level onkyo system that included a basic onkyo speaker package and passive sub. Over the years I got more and more into it (and more so hifi) and my first upgrade when I got a bit of money was some B&W 685s for the fronts. I then got the matching HTM62 centre speaker. Whilst I know an entry level onkyo amp will never drive the B&W speakers to their potential, it will have to do until I'm in a position to buy a much more powerful AV receiver.

Although, I am more than pleased with my hifi set up which I use to drive the 685s which sounds fantastic.

Anyway, I digress, the onkyo package only came with a passive sub which I always found was a tad lacking in any bass. I noticed Richer Sounds are selling a Pioneer passive sub for £10 (down from £50). Is this worth a punt to see if its any better than the onkyo sub that was included in the package? (I thought if it was £50 originally it might be better than the onkyo sub). Or would I be better removing the sub altogether and diverting all the low frequencies to the B&W fronts?

Opinions appreciated *biggrin*

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Would help if I posted a link to the sub in question

http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/pioneer/sslw500/pion-s-slw500

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
to be honest you wont get much out of it, it's £10 for a reason! it's most likely bad, just get a cheaper active sub? such as the £75 yamaha from RS or superfi. or spend a bit more and get better bass.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
stavvy

I have an Onkyo 905 and it works fabulously with my B&W 685 Theatre but I use the B&W ASW610 sub.

Best wishes

Chris

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for your advice. I was always under the impression though that if the receiver comes with a passive sub then I can't hook up an active sub? Correct me if I'm wrong! As I say, realistically though I have to upgrade my amp anyway to drive the speakers properly so by default would need an active sub.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
stavvy said:
Thanks guys for your advice. I was always under the impression though that if the receiver comes with a passive sub then I can't hook up an active sub? Correct me if I'm wrong! As I say, realistically though I have to upgrade my amp anyway to drive the speakers properly so by default would need an active sub.

You won't regret updating you AVR. Then you can go for any active sub you like. Don't be too cheap on it if you can afford it. Second hand is also an option. Highend kit should have been looked after so though it's second hand it will still out do a cheap new sub.

May I suggest Rel. It's the only thing the make is subwoofer or sub bass systems as they call it. They are basically the best in the world. Mine was second hand and I won't be getting rid of it even if I upgrade.

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately i just bought a whole new hifi as per my signature over the last few months so cant really justifiy a new receiver at the moment! I do like the onkyo though so I wouldnt mind sticking with them.

If and when I do get a sub though I would imagine I would stick to B&W to match the rest of the speakers. I heard a few subs from a dedicated sub manufacturer at the Bristol show and I didnt like them (Cant remember the name). It might have been emphasised to show them off but I felt like the bass was way too overblown as it was all you could hear (or feel) during the movie sequence.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
stavvy said:
unfortunately i just bought a whole new hifi as per my signature over the last few months so cant really justifiy a new receiver at the moment! I do like the onkyo though so I wouldnt mind sticking with them.

If and when I do get a sub though I would imagine I would stick to B&W to match the rest of the speakers. I heard a few subs from a dedicated sub manufacturer at the Bristol show and I didnt like them (Cant remember the name). It might have been emphasised to show them off but I felt like the bass was way too overblown as it was all you could hear (or feel) during the movie sequence.

Ah fair enough. I doubt that would have been Rel. Not sure who else was at the show showing off their subs. Where were you situated in the room for the demonstration? if you were in the wrong place you may have been in the peak of the low sound wave. In which case you wouldn't hear much else.

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
might have been jl subs. they gave the exact same demo the previous year. I realise these events are far from optimal though so I would be willing to demo different subs when the time comes.

TRENDING THREADS