upgrade of home cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok! I have recently installed sky HD and will very shortly be investing in a lovely new blu ray player (probably sony S350).

My exististing home cinema all in one system is pretty old (Sony DAV S800) - It has no hdmi inputs. I was thinking of upgrading this to a new "one box" system, probably the Sony HT SF1300.

My question is this: would I be better off spending the £300/£350 for the HT SF1300 on a decent amp such as the Sony STR DG820, and then connect this to the existing speakers on my DAV S800 system? I guess I would need to change the connectors on the existing speaker cables to accomodate this - is this possible?

Any advice/opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone!!

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Sell your old unit on as a whole and put the money towards your new setup. You wouldn't get the full potential from a new amp using those speakers and once you've butchered the cables by cutting off the connectors, you'll have rendered it both useless and worthless. The speakers might be able to be reused but that depend on the impedence rating (ohms) of the speakers. The 820 can drive 8ohms (and above) but all-in-one speakers are often low impedence (3/4) which would basically end in tears. You would invariably end up damaging the speakers and possibly the amp so I would sell it on and start from scratch.

I would always advocate going for separates over a package. The HT-SF1300 can't be upgraded, the speakers and main unit are designed to be used with each other and nothing else. However, they do offer a one box solution and get you hd audio from your new player.

Maybe stick with your current system until you have the funds to upgrade both amp and speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts