Upgrade from Lo-Fi

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
For starters my system to date is.......

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 Amp.

Pioneer PL-300 vintage turnable connected via a Art DJ Pre II phono preamp

Yamaha KX-493 Cassette Deck

JVC XLV-284 Vintage 1996 CD player

JBL Control One Speakers.

I have recently replaced the speakers with Boston Acoustics A25 which are a massive improvement over the JBL's. However, I reckon I can get more out of them by upgrading my amplifier as there seems to be little respect for the CA Topaz range of amps. I also need to replace the CD player as it sounds incredibly harsh and the A25's only serve to make it sound worse than the JBL's for some reason. I'm happy with the turnatble and cassette deck ( for now!)

So; can somebody recommend a decent "mid-fi" amp and CD player to compliment the A25's. I have seen the following amps during my internet research which are within my price range.

Cambridge Audio Azur 351a

Pioneer A-20

Sansui SAP 201v

Yamaha A-S500

Many of these have good sale prices at the moment so now is a good time to buy.

As for CD players I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I should point out that I am an analogue enthusiast so digital capabilities aren't a neccessary requirement in an amplifier. I should also point out that I am on a budget so £1000 suggestions would be a definite no-no if I want to stay married.

Many Thanks in advance.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I would listen to the CA351A, Denon PMA720AE and Pioneer A30. The Denon and Pioneer are under £200 and the Cambridge Audio around £250.

As for cd players, the matching CA351C, Denon DCD720AE and. Pioneer PD30 would be a good place to start.

Just make sure you take your speakers to the demo.

matthewpiano

Yes, I've owned one. It is very capable but lacks refinement compared to the Denon. It also suffers a bit at low volume levels and only seems to come alive from about the 9 o'clock position upwards, whereas the Denon is surprisingly good at lower levels.

Ultimately you need to listen to a couple of these options to make an informed decision but I'd take the Denon over the Yamaha every time.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi aob9,

My opinion is stay away from the Cambridge Audio 351a as you already have the Topaz amp and don't like it. Try something different from another manufacture.

Also you said your system sounds a little harsh. The Yamaha always sounds a little bit thin and bright for my liking.

How about the Exposure 1010 amp and CD player? Or the Marantz PM 6004 and CD 6004? Or even the less expensive NAD C 316BEE amp and NAD C 516BEE CD player if you want to save some? These three would be worthwhile upgrades.

My advice is that your A25 speakers are also limiting factors in your system if you want to achieve better overall sound. So buy an Amp and CD player that you can grow into by spending a little bit more money if you can. This way latter on you can upgrade your speakers without having to upgrade your other gear. The B&W 685S2 or KEF Q300 would match up well to the above Amp and CD player recommendations.

Hope this helps and good luck!

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have been looking closely at the specs for both the Denon PMA-720 and 520AE . There appears to be very little between them in terms of power output; 50W vs 45W at 8ohms. Everything else appears to be the same apart from a pre-out and switchable A/B speakers on the 720, neither of which I have any use for.

Surely I am missing something given that the internet is full of praise for the 720 vs very little comment at all on the slightly lower spec'd 520.

matthewpiano

I did look into this at the time when I bought the 720AE, but I'm sorry I can't remember what conclusion I came to.

Either way there is only a tiny price difference between the two so I'd go for the 720AE out of the two.

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I did look into this at the time when I bought the 720AE, but I'm sorry I can't remember what conclusion I came to.

Either way there is only a tiny price difference between the two so I'd go for the 720AE out of the two.

My instinct ( for what it's worth) is inclined to agree with you. I can get the Denon 720 in Ireland for £179 (€225), a great bargain based on the reviews. Maybe Denon are due to announce an upgrade soon based on current retail prices.

T

the record spot

The Sansui gear was underrated but decent. Try and get a hold of their excellent streamer which won the HiFi World award last year. Should be going for a song just now.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
The Sansui gear was underrated but decent. Try and get a hold of their excellent streamer which won the HiFi World award last year. Should be going for a song just now.

I would get the Marantz M-CR610.

I have M-CR510 and it's fine little machine and sounds same or better than Marantz budget separates ( 6004 & 6005).

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
[/quote]

I have M-CR510 and it's fine little machine and sounds same or better than Marantz budget separates ( 6004 & 6005).

[/quote]

I think it's very unlikely that it sounds better.

matthewpiano

The key piece of advice I would give you is not to get sucked up into the whole endless cycle of always wondering whether something is going to be better. Make your choice (preferably by listening to a couple of your options), and then sit back and enjoy the music.

For this very reason there is a lot to be said for an affordable and neat budget system. Something like the Denon pairing, the Marantz MCR-610, or the Marantz CD/PM6005 with a nice pair of budget speakers (Q Acoustics or Dali) really can do the job very nicely without the need to get dragged into the finer points of the hobby.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site

[/quote]

I think it's very unlikely that it sounds better.

[/quote]

and on what assumption you've based your very unlikely theory?

I've based mine on real life test. Did have PM6004 ( with Arcam rDac) so I was very familiar with the sound the combo produced. Then M-CR510 landed in my home and after hours of listening PM6004 and Arcam were sold. Then my mate bought PM6005, guess what? We did side by side test - hardly any difference.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Yes, I've owned one. It is very capable but lacks refinement compared to the Denon. It also suffers a bit at low volume levels and only seems to come alive from about the 9 o'clock position upwards, whereas the Denon is surprisingly good at lower levels.

Ultimately you need to listen to a couple of these options to make an informed decision but I'd take the Denon over the Yamaha every time.

You are right, its something I have noticed on mine too, the volume pot and lower levels is insenitive, but get past 10 0 clock and the volume suddenly increases a lot,

to the op, i would listen to a AS500 before getting one, its more system dependant for good results than many others , due the risk of the treble becoming bright, it certainly has punch in the bass imo, However my cd player and the speakers are a little on the lush side of things, the AS500 seems to work with the silk tweeters, it *could* sound rough with bright metalic tweeters

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts