Upgrade from Cambridge audio Azur 640a and Kef Q15?

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640a amp and Kef Q15 speakers that I mainly use for listening to my Sonos Connect and Apple TV. I've had the amp and speakers for about 15 years and they still sound like the day I bought them but I'm wondering how much I'd need to spend to get a noticeable upgrade?

Any views welcome!

Steve

matthewpiano

The test question is are you still thoroughly enjoying your music?

Spending lots of money on an upgrade won't necessarily bring you any more enjoyment or result in better sound. You have a good system so if you are still loving your music, I'd spend money on more music and carry on enjoying your hi-fi as it is.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The test question is are you still thoroughly enjoying your music?

Spending lots of money on an upgrade won't necessarily bring you any more enjoyment or result in better sound. You have a good system so if you are still loving your music, I'd spend money on more music and carry on enjoying your hi-fi as it is.

+1

Having upgraded from a Cambridge 640a amp & Ruark Epilogue II speakers, I fully concur with Matthew's comments. Having been to the Bristol Show a couple of times and heard a cross section of the 'best' hifi available, I often think that the sound my old system produced regularly outclassed the brash ear-piercing sounds of so-called high-end hifi.

With a separates system, by all means add extra sources that increase functionality, but be very careful indeed before upgrading you main amp & speaker combo, particularly if you like its balance of sound. More money really doesn't always equate to a 'better' sound. It can, but it's not a given: and upgradeitis can be a deep money-pit indeed.

For the money I think the 640a was a superb amp that could handle speakers well above its own budget price range. Its bass control was excellent for a 65 wpc amp: beautifully taut and fast. The 640C CD player could be a little harsh and unforgiving, but when I used other sources (like Bluray) or TV broadcasts, the amp really shone.

Can I ask, do you have a DAC in between your Sonos Connect, Apple TV and the amp? You may find this could improve the quality of your sources. I've not heard it myself, but I understand that the Sonos Connect's own DAC isn't of the highest order.

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I appreciate your thinking on this. I don't have a separate DAC but reading around many people seem to think that the difference is negligible. Looks like I'll stick with what I've got for now. In a way it feels good to stand by my old 'friends'.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Given that you fancy a change and given that some new budget or mid-fi components are not going to make huge improvements, make a change that will really make you sit up and take notice.

The Sonos Connect is perfect for driving a pair of active speakers, for around £400 you can get a pair of Yamaha HS8s, ideal for a bigger room or for somrthing altogether more refined the Adam Artis6 is available from Thomann for less than £600.

This is music playback on an altogether different scale from what you are used to, if you are prepared to step away from the usual suspects, either of the setups mentioned, and a fair few others to, will shake your music collection up like nothing else.

rainsoothe

hybridauth_Facebook_718555587 said:
Thanks! I appreciate your thinking on this. I don't have a separate DAC but reading around many people seem to think that the difference is negligible. Looks like I'll stick with what I've got for now. In a way it feels good to stand by my old 'friends'.

The difference is not negligible at all - different dac is almost like different CD player - they sound pretty different. Don't know how your Kef's sound, but Q Acoustics might be a good match for the CA. For a CD player, Marantz CD6004 or the cheapest Nad might be really good options. Or if you have several digital sources, something like the Arcam iRdac is a great option.

Otherwise, if you don't mind replacing the whole shabang, I would second Davedotco's suggestions. For this budget, actives + stuff are a big improvement compared to a passive setup.

TRENDING THREADS