Question Upgrade from Bluesound PowerNode 2?

eys

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've currently got a Bluesound Powernode 2 driving a pair of Davis Accoustics Matisse Signature speakers.

I'm looking to separate amp and streamer, and am wondering which amp will be best suited for my speakers.

I don't know much about my speakers; I was compering speakers in a hi-fi shop and these were the ones I ended up with.
I found the technical details here: Davis Acoustic MATISSE SIGNATURE

The room I have them in is 20m2, but will (hopefully) move into one double the size next year.

In addition to the streamer (probably a Node 2i), with time I'm also adding a turntable and CD player.

Through lots of reading I have kind of narrowed it down to:
  1. Cambridge CXA81
  2. Rega Brio
  3. (or something from Maranz)

I know reading isn't the best way to buy hi-fi, but I'm still in lock-down. Though my taste of music includes electronic , hip-hop, rock, soul, and anything from Stones Throw records. I do enjoy a bit of punch in the bass, but having a "clean" picture is also important. (Damn these things are hard to put into words!)

In my mind the CXA81 seems like the right choice, but I've seen the Brio get too much positive reviews in order to ignore it.

In the end, I'd really like to know which one gives the best feel, and is not just ticking of boxes on the hi-fi checklist. Has anyone used one of these amps with similar speakers, or have experienced both the amps?

thank you

rainsoothe

All those 3 brands do stuff differently. CA is a bit over the top in the highs and can be tiresome if partnered wrong, Marantz have a nice open and liquidy-smooth sound, Rega are fast. I'm not familiar with your speakers, but heard a pair of Davis Acoustics speakers, and from reading around, a Naim Nait 5si is what I'd put behind them, since you'd like some punch in your sound, and few, if any, do it better.

eys

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
All those 3 brands do stuff differently. CA is a bit over the top in the highs and can be tiresome if partnered wrong, Marantz have a nice open and liquidy-smooth sound, Rega are fast. I'm not familiar with your speakers, but heard a pair of Davis Acoustics speakers, and from reading around, a Naim Nait 5si is what I'd put behind them, since you'd like some punch in your sound, and few, if any, do it better.

Thank you @rainsoothe for covering all three. I wish I could somehow manage to listen to them all, but that's just not the way things are now.

I've read around a bit about the Naim Nait 5si you mention, and it seems very nice. But how you describe Marantz and Rega also sounds good. Though what exactly do you mean by that the Rega is "fast"?

I might have to just go by price in the end, in which case it will be the Rega Brio.

rainsoothe

Thank you @rainsoothe for covering all three. I wish I could somehow manage to listen to them all, but that's just not the way things are now.

I've read around a bit about the Naim Nait 5si you mention, and it seems very nice. But how you describe Marantz and Rega also sounds good. Though what exactly do you mean by that the Rega is "fast"?

I might have to just go by price in the end, in which case it will be the Rega Brio.
Fast means that it's not bloated, bass notes start and stop on a dime. Sometimes, fast can also mean lean, as in there's no meat on the bones, and people used to a boom-box sound will find the system lacking in bass. By the way, if you can budget for a new Brio, a sh Nait 5si might be available for the same money and it's a much more accomplished amplifier and will give you the punch you want - and probably more appropriate for the future room too (imo).

Last edited:
Reactions: eys

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Cheers @rainsoothe ! I'm having a look around for second hand Nait 5si, but not finding any where I live (in France).
If you're in France you might get lucky with a s/h Lavardin IS amp - only 38W power with the older models, but as your speakers have 91dB sensitivity that should be fine even with a 40m2 room.

eys

Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
don't have to be in fr, check ebay co uk and audio-markt.de. You can also ask at a dealership if they have any ex-demo or trade-ins for sale.

Thanks again @rainsoothe . Now those are some proper rabbit holes, I've got so much to look at now!

On another note - I've never bought sh equipment before. Are there any red flags I should watch out for?

rainsoothe

Thanks again @rainsoothe . Now those are some proper rabbit holes, I've got so much to look at now!

On another note - I've never bought sh equipment before. Are there any red flags I should watch out for?
Well usually if it's too cheap, it's too good to be true. Look at seller ratings, and if PayPal is an option, it provides some coverage - ebay is safer in this regard, but a bit more expensive because they get a cut. On some websites, including eBay, some of the sellers are dealers, and even offer a return policy or some warranty.

Reactions: eys

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I've currently got a Bluesound Powernode 2 driving a pair of Davis Accoustics Matisse Signature speakers.

I'm looking to separate amp and streamer, and am wondering which amp will be best suited for my speakers.

I don't know much about my speakers; I was compering speakers in a hi-fi shop and these were the ones I ended up with.
I found the technical details here: Davis Acoustic MATISSE SIGNATURE

The room I have them in is 20m2, but will (hopefully) move into one double the size next year.

In addition to the streamer (probably a Node 2i), with time I'm also adding a turntable and CD player.

Through lots of reading I have kind of narrowed it down to:
  1. Cambridge CXA81
  2. Rega Brio
  3. (or something from Maranz)

I know reading isn't the best way to buy hi-fi, but I'm still in lock-down. Though my taste of music includes electronic , hip-hop, rock, soul, and anything from Stones Throw records. I do enjoy a bit of punch in the bass, but having a "clean" picture is also important. (Damn these things are hard to put into words!)

In my mind the CXA81 seems like the right choice, but I've seen the Brio get too much positive reviews in order to ignore it.

In the end, I'd really like to know which one gives the best feel, and is not just ticking of boxes on the hi-fi checklist. Has anyone used one of these amps with similar speakers, or have experienced both the amps?

thank you
Try Denon 1600 NE and DNP 800 NE
Iam using DNP 800NE and PMA 600NE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts