upgrade from atc-scm11

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
hello all !

i am thinking of upgrading my secondary system . plenty of sources (main being my pc), a Naim XS and a pair of atc-scm11 on atakama hms2 stands.

sound is fine but i think that by upgrading amp and speakers it might be even ...finer.

room size (home office) is about 3x4 meters.

so questions are : are atc-smc19 any better than 11 ? i mean will they sound even louder and refined as the 11's ?

will upgrading xs to supernait (so the matched system would be scm19) also help ?

you know, being a fan of the classic bbc sound (harbeth or stirling nowadays) i find myself suprised (!) to enjoy to such extent the sound of the atc monitors (in this secondary system). i also have upraded from scm7 and i find 11 even more enjoyable, so although everything is ok, except maybe for a little more bass, i am thinking of stretching this enjoyment even further !

do you think that i should try and change naim with another -non-naim- amp together with scm19 ? (finding the family of atc standmounters so fine i am ONLY considering ATC, especially 19 . i guess scm40 would be too much for the room, and would require EVEN better amplifications .. which are not in my plans right now :) )

please, tell me what your opinions about all this .

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
yes, a little more bass. and maybe a (even) bigger sound(stage).

if the differences are minor .. of course i am staying as i am now!

i want you to compare the sound of atc-scm11 to the one of the scm19 .. (do the host same set of woofer/twitter ? i mean both of them) .

finally i want you to compare the sound of xs+11 to the sound of snait+19.

A

Anonymous

indietronic said:
hello all !

i am thinking of upgrading my secondary system . plenty of sources (main being my pc), a Naim XS and a pair of atc-scm11 on atakama hms2 stands.

sound is fine but i think that by upgrading amp and speakers it might be even ...finer.

so questions are : are atc-smc19 any better than 11 ? i mean will they sound even louder and refined as the 11's ?

will upgrading xs to supernait (so the matched system would be scm19) also help ?

you know, being a fan of the classic bbc sound (harbeth or stirling nowadays) i find myself suprised (!) to enjoy to such extent the sound of the atc monitors (in this secondary system). i also have upraded from scm7 and i find 11 even more enjoyable, so although everything is ok, except maybe for a little more bass, i am thinking of stretching this enjoyment even further !

do you think that i should try and change naim with another -non-naim- amp together with scm19 ? (finding the family of atc standmounters so fine i am ONLY considering ATC, especially 19 . i guess scm40 would be too much for the room, and would require EVEN better amplifications .. which are not in my plans right now :) )

'' Daja vu '' :) I've got a headache coming on.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
What is it about the SCM11's or the Naim/ATC pairing that you're finding lacking?
He said he wants a little more bass.

indietronic said:

There you go ben - amazing the extra info you can find out when you ask.

indietronic said:

i want you to compare the sound of atc-scm11 to the one of the scm19 .. (do the host same set of woofer/twitter ? i mean both of them) .

You have a larger mid/bass driver on the SCM19 (their SL spec driver they use in their higher end models), and you get extra cabinet volume too. Basically, cleaner, clearer, more headroom (mid/bass) and they'll reach down a little deeper too. They're the same efficiency as your SCM11's, so they won't sound any louder for a given volume in comparison, but they will have a little more presence in the lower registers. You may find that with more capable amplification, the SCM11's might be fine.

Even for SCM11's, I would usually recommend the Nait XS as a starting point - and obviously the same would go for the SCM19's. Personally, I think you'll find the SCM11's will improve if you beef up your amplification, so certainly a Supernait/SuperUniti will get more from them, or you can add a power amplifier to what you already have.

The SCM40's are a little different to it's little brothers, and as a result requires a little more careful partnering. Your room size is borderline for these, depending on the volumes needed. They will certainly require better amplification in order to get the most from them.

I think it'd be worth popping along to your dealer to try your combo out with 11's and 19's, and then try alternative amplification if you feel the need. Only trying out these options will you know which route to take.

A

Anonymous

:shifty:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
BenLaw said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
What is it about the SCM11's or the Naim/ATC pairing that you're finding lacking?

indietronic said:

indietronic said:

You have a larger mid/bass driver on the SCM19 (their SL spec driver they use in their higher end models), and you get extra cabinet volume too. Basically, cleaner, clearer, more headroom (mid/bass) and they'll reach down a little deeper too. They're the same efficiency as your SCM11's, so they won't sound any louder for a given volume in comparison, but they will have a little more presence in the lower registers. You may find that with more capable amplification, the SCM11's might be fine.

Even for SCM11's, I would usually recommend the Nait XS as a starting point - and obviously the same would go for the SCM19's. Personally, I think you'll find the SCM11's will improve if you beef up your amplification, so certainly a Supernait/SuperUniti will get more from them, or you can add a power amplifier to what you already have.

The SCM40's are a little different to it's little brothers, and as a result requires a little more careful partnering. Your room size is borderline for these, depending on the volumes needed. They will certainly require better amplification in order to get the most from them.

I think it'd be worth popping along to your dealer to try your combo out with 11's and 19's, and then try alternative amplification if you feel the need. Only trying out these options will you know which route to take.
:shifty: OMG !

A

Anonymous

I'm borrowing a pair of SCM40s tomorrow, to be driven with 300W of amplication. I have no idea what the 11s and 19s sound like but I can let you know what the 40s do for me ;) My room is about 4m x 5m

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
BenLaw said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

indietronic said:

:) Fair ciriticism! ;)

To the OP, David describes the driver differences accurately. The 40s use ATC's stunning studio soft dome mid driver. It's worth pointing out (without trying to start any arguing) that David is not a particular fan of the 40s and certainly prefers the 11s and 19s.

IMO it is not a matter of any of them requiring any more 'careful partnering' or more powerful amplification. The qualities of the ATCs (all 3 models, and beyond) are such that they will all respond to an upgrade / change in amplification. So each of them will benefit from going up the Naim ladder, and it might be that your 11s would satisfy you with this upgrade, but I suggest a demo would be sensible to know for sure. Whilst all the speakers are voiced the same, each upgrade (11 -> 19 -> 40) will give you an improvement in bass depth and midrange clarity.

As for room size, I have 40s in a similar sized room, probably a bit smaller, with no problems. The fact that they are sealed boxes mean they cope close to walls / corners better than most and their accuracy / neutrality means they have fewer 'in room' problems than many speakers. Of course, acoustic treatment would assist.

indietronic said:
hello all !

PMC, Neat and MonoPulse. Great with Naim and sweeter than ATCs.

Nuff said.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Harbeth SHL5 the most balanced speaker out there and works well with Naim.

grin.gif

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
p3esr is a FANTASTIC speaker. but ...by mistake i'm very happy with naim+scm11 as an alternative second system. so i would like to stretch this situation a bit :)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Nuff said.

Hi plastic penguin

ATC monitors are low distortion, flat and honest designs. Simple :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Very true, but they roll off at 60hz and the guy wants more bass. PMC, Neat, and MonoPulse are good suggestions. I would add Dynaudio to the list.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
jaxwired said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Nuff said.

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Very true, but they roll off at 60hz and the guy wants more bass. PMC, Neat, and MonoPulse are good suggestions. I would add Dynaudio to the list.

Well, he says he wants a *little* more bass and would only consider ATC. No problem with broadening horizons but while some of the suggestions may give deeper bass they will be a step down in many of the qualities of ATC.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
jaxwired said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Nuff said.

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Well, he says he wants a *little* more bass and would only consider ATC. No problem with broadening horizons but while some of the suggestions may give deeper bass they will be a step down in many of the qualities of ATC.
Here we go......where's my Bl--dy tin hat ? :shifty:

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
if i upgrade my secondary system speakers it will be atc 19 . else , i stay as i am.

again, some said that i would benefit more from upgrading xs. so i am considering 19+supernait. that is because i like the synergy between naim + atc.

i want A LITTLE more bass . do not like pmc sound etc ...

sound stage maybe not "grow" by upgrading 11->19 but i guess that ONLY due to size difference sound will be "fuller"..

is there someone in this forum with naim supernait and atc-scm19 in same system?

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
If its more bass and a bigger sound you want from your system, i wouldn't worry about the scm40's being too big for that room.

Obviously, smaller speakers, well placed away from walls, with the listening seat in the perfect position may produce better results in the imaging department, but when realistic volume and dynamics are required, you need a bigger speaker.

I have used ATC scm19's, scm50asl's, and PA-65's in my 4x4.5m living room. All have worked perfectly well, close to the rear wall, and play really well at low volume levels, upto realistic volume levels :grin:

A

Anonymous

relocated said:
FATS 2828 said, '' Daja vu ''
smile.png
I've got a headache coming on.Is the headache due to your inability to spell correctly?:rofl:
Correct, slip of the finger. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts