Upgrade for NAD C521i CD Player?

Wildski

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I'm thinking about upgrading my elderley NAD C521i CD player. Question is: how much would I need to spend in order to get something noticeably better sounding? The reason I'm thinking of upgrading is that it is now "behind" the rest of my kit (see below)

I really would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks.

Current System: Rega Brio 3, NAD C521i, Quad 21Ls :quest:

Depends on your budget, but the sensible choice would be a s/hand Rega Apollo (original) or a new Apollo-R. Or if you need to stream then perhaps look at Rega Dac, using the Nad as transport.

Alternatives would be Arcam CD17, Exposure 2010S2 or the new Marantz CD6005.

Wildski

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Cool- thank you. Budget very depends on what I'd need to notice the differencem, and you've given me some great info there. I'd looked at the Reag Apollo R but wondered if it would "eclipse" my Brio 3 (much as I love it!). Do you rate the CD6005? I know auditions are important- but opinions are always helpful. Ostensiblly I like the idea of the Rega over the Marantz- but haven't heard either.

Thanks again :star:

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD was and still is a good CDP and transport so personally I'd go down the DAC route (Rega DAC, Musical Fidelity M1DAC, Arcam DAC, Emotiva XDA1 etc...)

If you're set on a new CDP then deffo a 2nd hand Rega Apollo/Apollo R and possibly a Cyrus CD6SE etc...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Rega would make sense as you have the Rega amp. and if you don't mind the top loading. I would also consider the Marantz Pearl Lite which can be had for about £600 now if you can find them, check Richer S. Used there are plenty, Marantz KIs, Audiolab, Creek, Arcam and Exposure to name a few.

Wildski said:
Hi all. I'm thinking about upgrading my elderley NAD C521i CD player. Question is: how much would I need to spend in order to get something noticeably better sounding? The reason I'm thinking of upgrading is that it is now "behind" the rest of my kit (see below) I really would appreciate any advice you could offer. Thanks. Current System: Rega Brio 3, NAD C521i, Quad 21Ls :quest:

Hi Wildski

Add a DAC as this will also give you access to other digital media. I'll recommend Rega's DAC. I feel Rega's DAC will offer you a worthwhile improvement in performance and will also be an excellent tonal match for your Brio 3 amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Wildski

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Really helpful information. Particularly good to see that no one's suggested changing the amp, as I do REALLY like it.

I think I'm swinging towards Rega, either solution..

Which brings me to one last question if I may?: if I had a DAC - would I be able to play my iPod through it? Sorry to be such a Luddite but, as useful as they are, I've never really thought of them as a bit of Hi Fi Kit, but it seems to be the in thing these days. And- if I can- is there a good CD player that has this feature? ( think the Marantz CDP has a USB port?) (Sorry, that's two questions). It's just that a DAC will be (yet another) box on the rack (I have an A/V system that "feeds into" the Rega)

Thanks again - really appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Wildski

:beer:

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes you'll be able to play your iPod via the DAC either via a USB cable or a 3.5mm jack to phono cable

There are a few Rega DAC's on eBay currently but I'd also seriously consider this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fidelity-M1-DAC-Asynchronous-USB-DAC-Black-/161158168149?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2585c67e55

I've owned both and would go back to the MF M1DAC everytime. The Rega DAC is great and will obviously offer you great synergy with your Rega amp BUT for me the M1DAC offers a better all round soundstage with more detailed lower & midrange and a very clear/precise top end.

I did find the Rega DAC to be a little smooth at times...

Both we used along side a Rega BrioR amp and Cyrus 8VS2 amp at the time

Wildski

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Final update on this. I've just bagged an ex-demo MF M1DAC for £250! Delighted- or at least I will be when it arrives.

Only things is- there doesn't seem to be an easy option to connect an iPod - USB won't work apparantely? Any ideas anyone?

Anyway a massive thanks to you all for your advice.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Go for one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-i-20-iPhone-dock-Refurbished-/161158986234?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_AudioDocks_Speakers&hash=item2585d2f9fa

And connect via optical or coaxial (your choice) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts