Upgrade for CA CD4/Rotel RA-02

eclecticmonkey

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am currently using a Cambridge Audio CD4 (original not SE version) with Rotel RA-02 and Mission 73s. Been thinking about upgrading - I always intended to upgrade the CD but never did - obviously technology has progressed in the 16 years since I bought it so any recommendations on how to improve this system? CD player first probably as the amp is good - although maybe it would beneefit from being used as a pre-amp and adding on of the newer generation of Rotel power amps? I always thought the speakers might be the weakest link in this set-up - am interested in any comments. I listen to everything from rock to classical to jazz to electronic to folk so prefer a neutral sound. Thanks

Welcome...

Whatever you do keep the Rotel. Superb amp.

From personal experience Arcam goes very well with Rotel, so look at, depending on budget, as a minimum Arcam CD72T. That said, I know absolutely nowt about Mission speakers but reckon you should be looking in the region of B&W 685, Epos M12is or even PMC DB1is.

You've mentioned a neutral sound: Rotel is pretty forward so needs a warmer source/speakers to balance out the sound, hence the above choices.

Hope this helps.

eclecticmonkey

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Are we talking second hand with the Arcam72T? - I'd prefer to buy new tbh. Don't mind spending a bit - was looking at reviews of players like Audiolab 8200CD, Roksan Kandy K2, NAIM CD5i. Obviously a notch above the rotel in terms of quality but an amp upgrade could always follow at a later date.

eclecticmonkey said:
Thanks. Are we talking second hand with the Arcam72T? - I'd prefer to buy new tbh. Don't mind spending a bit - was looking at reviews of players like Audiolab 8200CD, Roksan Kandy K2, NAIM CD5i. Obviously a notch above the rotel in terms of quality but an amp upgrade could always follow at a later date.

Yes, the 72 is no longer made. If you're going brand new an audition is essential. I'd be more inclined to look at Kandy K2 player or Creek Evo and Arcam CD17. Tonally they should be terrific match.

Edit - Rotel power amps are amongst some of the best. RA-02 bi-amped with RB 06 will be a cracking combo.

eclecticmonkey

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
A question on the Arcam CD17 then - I mentioned a "neutral sound", the reason being that when I originally bought the system, I tested it with both the Rotel and the Arcam Diva A65 Plus which was one of it's near competitors at the time - although the Rotel is quite forward in terms of presenting the soundstage, I don't think it colours the sound in the way that the Arcam did - and I didn't like it, it was lile listening through rose-tinted spectacles. So question is, would an Arcam CD player be likely to have the same or similar effect?

eclecticmonkey said:
A question on the Arcam CD17 then - I mentioned a "neutral sound", the reason being that when I originally bought the system, I tested it with both the Rotel and the Arcam Diva A65 Plus which was one of it's near competitors at the time - although the Rotel is quite forward in terms of presenting the soundstage, I don't think it colours the sound in the way that the Arcam did - and I didn't like it, it was lile listening through rose-tinted spectacles. So question is, would an Arcam CD player be likely to have the same or similar effect?

What source and speakers did you test both amps with?

The answer is "yes", Arcam CDP will slightly colour the sound but that's good. If all components are neutral you could (and probably will) end up with a sterile presentation. Okay for short sessions, but can grate a little over long periods.

A system is about balancing each sonic trait: if you have all components with some warmth you end up with a sonic stodge, likewise, if you match bright with bright it will take your fillings out. Have a listen to Arcams CD17 and another brand and see how they stack up.

eclecticmonkey

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Demo was system as described above and then just switched Rotel for Arcam amp, so basically an A/B between the two. I really like the Rotel, I find it presents really well, particularly with vocals - e.g. I was listening to a new CD of Fairport Convention live at Ebbets Field and Sandy Denny's vocal really stood out at the front of the mix.

eclecticmonkey said:
Demo was system as described above and then just switched Rotel for Arcam amp, so basically an A/B between the two. I really like the Rotel, I find it presents really well, particularly with vocals - e.g. I was listening to a new CD of Fairport Convention live at Ebbets Field and Sandy Denny's vocal really stood out at the front of the mix.

Fair enough - system matching isn't exact science, but they are the basic guidelines to get the ideal match. What ever puts the biggest smile on your face, that'll be right for you.

BTW, when I auditioned for a new amp seven years ago I ended up with the A65+. Have a guess what amp I tested against?
smiley-wink.gif

Have a listen to few different makes and you'll know which brand will do it for you.

Good luck, pp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts