Upgrade Bug....again

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
So where do you think I could improve I have a Cyrus Pre XVS with power supply CD8se with power supply two smartpowers in Mono (not that, that means anything) Proac D28's and cardas cables now with a Rega P5. I am thinking it would be the Pre but what about the power amps? Money to spend, why not!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As an ex-cyrus owner I am dubious about how far you can go by keeping investing in the brand. If you like what you have fair enough but there is probably better out there. £7k of cyrus stack with ProAcs did'nt do it for me. You are in Krell/Plinius/ATC etc etc territory and I certainly would listen to some other brands first to get an idea if your proposed cyrus upgrade will bring any significant rewards.

If you decide to stick with what you have perhaps consider investing in a good subwoofer, perhaps two. Time and time again I have found this makes a large difference, even with good floorstanders.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the point of dimminshing returns. Did you ever mix and match with your cyrus unfortnaly here in North America I wouldnt get no returns on my stuff so thats why Im reluctant to swap everything. To be honest I would be lucky if any of my stuff would sell even on Audiogon and would give it away on Ebay. If you were going to upgrade would you ditch the power amps and go for a new Pre amp?
Thanks Drummerman

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps I should clarify that I did'nt own £7k of cyrus stuff. Mine was the entry level 8vs2 plus player/psx and some lowly proac stand mounts/studios. I had close aquaintance with the manufacturers more expensive configurations on a fair few occasions and with a variety of speakers. I kind of always came away feeling a bit smug and thinking why anyone would spend that much on the brand but thats just my opinion and you perhaps disagree.

I can't help you with what would be a sensible cyrus upgrade in your already extensive system as I have rarely a/b compared cyrus components in depth with a view to purchasing it or to upgrade my then system. These systems where mostly put together by a dealer and as such I can only comment on the whole rather than individual blocks.

I should also say that I had pretty much the same impressions with Naim systems, scratching my head at the prices. Another issue with cyrus is the power, or lack of it. You've addressed these issues with your choice of power amps to an extend but I still wonder if they would not sound better with double/tripple the wattage for better transient and peak level response. Again, no different to Naim and I guess there's a limit to what they can fit into the small chassis without resorting to digital amplifier modules, perhaps the next step in cyrus evolution unless it's already here and I've missed something.

There have been very few systems I heard or used in the last year or so which stood out. One was a plinius pre-power/cdp with large MA's, the other AVI's ADM's plus sub. Both at opposite ends of the spectrum yet closer than many may think. Others included Naim's Uniti but for completely different reasons and it's perhaps not aimed at the same customers anyway.

Apologies for ranting on buddy. Hope you can sort it and would be interesting to know what you've decided when the time comes.

A

Anonymous

As a relatively new Cyrus owner, I do find myself thinking about the difference that PSX-R's, Mono X's etc. would make to my set up. On the other hand, a pair of Mono X's added to my 8vs2 makes it somewhat dearer than say a Plinius 9200 amp, and in three boxes instead of one. Would the Cyrus kit be as good as the Plinius? (Or other brands at the £3k-ish mark?) I think the good thing about Cyrus though is that you can start off by enjoying a good quality amp at a relatively "low" cost and upgrade as and when you can afford. I can far more easily justify doing things this way than by trying to stump up £6k for a Plinius amp and CD, plus speakers to do justice to the combo, which probably would cost me at least another £2-3k. Hi Fi competes with other things in my life, and I have to balance off what I buy against the needs/wants of others in family.

I have also been intrigued by the recent threads about computer based audio. If I went the active speakers route, quality DAC etc., would I get a better value than the Cyrus?

BTW, where does the law of diminishing returns kick in with HiFi?

A

Anonymous

Hi mike. I find im in the same position. I have two 8 powers in mono and a pre vs2, and i thought they sounded great. Especialy since upgrading from an onkyo 875, but, 6 weeks ago i got new speakers. The dealer didnt have any 8 powers to demo with, just x-powers with pre vs2. Fantastic sound, got home and was a little underwhelmed with the 8 powers. Now want monos, but cash is tight. Do i hang on and wait for the monos or slightly upgrade and not be fully happy with the x-powers? If currrent economic situation doesnt improve, it could be a very long wait indeed! If i were you, i would def go for the new amps, whatever make.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking Moon maybe, here in Canada its about the same price as you pay in pounds, so it may sound expensive but here its like cyrus there buy the time it gets here Im paying two and half times what you guys are paying, but those the breaks. I heard Moon goes well with the cyrus with there warm smooth sound...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts