Upgrade Arcam CD73? Or get a DAC? Bluetooth?

demurmore

Aug 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my Arcam CD73. Mainly because it's pretty old now and I'm curious whether the newer offerings on the market are worthwhile.

Would you...

Not bother
Use it as a transport and get a DAC
Get a new player

My current amp doesn't have a DAC, for what it's worth.

I'm also looking at adding some sort of bluetooth connectivity to my system, maybe the iFi Zen Blue. I could get a DAC (option 2) that has bluetooth, so wouldn't need the Zen.

But what's the best option above?

Cheers

demurmore

Aug 11, 2024
Visit site
Thanks, that does look like a good option. I'm not 'sure' whether my CD73 DAC is better or worst than that of the iFi, but the bluetooth connectivity is a good thing and I guess it means I don't need to buy a new CD player + a bluetooth receiver, as as far as I can tell, the CD73 does a perfectly good job of spinning discs.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Use it as a transport and get a DAC
I think that's a good option for you too 👍

I've got a (26 year old) Philips CD recorder - but it's playback is nothing special. Putting it through a very decent little sub £100 DAC sharpened up the sound, making it sound more 'modern'.
I've also got a (22 year old) Marantz KI CD player - the same DAC also changes the sound of that - but to a lesser extent.

And that's the point, it depends on how your CD73 currently sounds. Old doesn't necessarily mean worse - the sound is likely to be changed to some extent - but it needs to suit you.
I dare say you could find a good combined DAC / BT for less money than that ifi, but ifi are reported to be particularly good with BT....and since you've got almost double the budget, that's likely to be a good choice.

Thanks, that does look like a good option. I'm not 'sure' whether my CD73 DAC is better or worst than that of the iFi, but the bluetooth connectivity is a good thing and I guess it means I don't need to buy a new CD player + a bluetooth receiver, as as far as I can tell, the CD73 does a perfectly good job of spinning discs.
A modern dac will certainly have a different presentation to the one in your Arcam but "better" who can say?

I think that's a good option for you too 👍

I've got a (26 year old) Philips CD recorder - but it's playback is nothing special. Putting it through a very decent little sub £100 DAC sharpened up the sound, making it sound more 'modern'.
I've also got a (22 year old) Marantz KI CD player - the same DAC also changes the sound of that - but to a lesser extent.

And that's the point, it depends on how your CD73 currently sounds. Old doesn't necessarily mean worse - the sound is likely to be changed to some extent - but it needs to suit you.
I dare say you could find a good combined DAC / BT for less money than that ifi, but ifi are reported to be particularly good with BT....and since you've got almost double the budget, that's likely to be a good choice.
That's why I suggested it and not some cheap Chinese item with no dealers and the only option is to ship it back to China should anything go wrong..... :)
yes you could probably find something cheaper but iFi is a well established brand with excellent reputation, good Bluetooth codecs and plenty of places to source their kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, you may also consider WiiM Ultra, new version of very good streamer/dac with good headphone amp integrated. Here it costs 400 eur. It is similar price like iFi Zen Signature Dac. They are both very very good. Once you have Rega amp and you like your Arcam CD, I recommend to look for used Rega Dac (half size like Rega Brio or Aria) and CD or streamer you can connect to this Dac. This is very good sounding reliable Dac. It will notably improve sound of your Arcam CD. BR.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, Arcam CD 73 was back in 2005 one of best CD players of its class. If CD transport works as it should, than try to combine it with resonable current streamer/ dac combo. You will not regret it.

demurmore

Aug 11, 2024
Visit site
thanks, yes it seems very good and always has been. I guess we're all guilty of wondering 'if' you can improve it. but I do want some bluetooth ability, so the iFi sounds like a good option rather than an external Rega DAC

is it best to connect via optical or coax to the iFi?

Hi, you may also consider WiiM Ultra, new version of very good streamer/dac with good headphone amp integrated. Here it costs 400 eur. It is similar price like iFi Zen Signature Dac. They are both very very good. Once you have Rega amp and you like your Arcam CD, I recommend to look for used Rega Dac (half size like Rega Brio or Aria) and CD or streamer you can connect to this Dac. This is very good sounding reliable Dac. It will notably improve sound of your Arcam CD. BR.
And the Bluetooth comes in where?

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
HI, this is the best to try directly on your system and compare. Your preference may be different than my. Rega Dac is very good. You will be surprised how good it sound with CD like Rega Apolo. A lot better than streamer for 1000 eur. ( still...)

thanks, yes it seems very good and always has been. I guess we're all guilty of wondering 'if' you can improve it. but I do want some bluetooth ability, so the iFi sounds like a good option rather than an external Rega DAC

is it best to connect via optical or coax to the iFi?
Either, as they will each be transmitting the same digital data. An optical cable may be cheaper than a decent digital coax.
You have the ability to try both with the Arcam.

TRENDING THREADS