Upgrade amp or speakers

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Considering the current kit in my sig, what would be best to upgrade given the choice of one only?

1. Upgrade the amp to a Pathos Logos (or something similarly exotic).

2. Keep existing speakers with Denon amp and CA BD player for surround duties and get Quad ESL-63's and maybe a dedicated CD player (old Quad 67) to use with the Quad amps for a dedicated separate stereo system.

Currently hypothetical but considering doing something like this.

Nothing currently wrong with my system but like the idea of change once in a while.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If you have a room that's suitable for the ESL63's I'd urge you to try them. There's a good chance you'll love them. The Quad 44 and 303 amps are super bits of kit for the money you can buy them at.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi FM

Personally, I like to build a system round a really good amp (like the Logos, Sugden, Electro etc) as it is imo the heart of the system.......there is no right and wrong though, as long as the amp is up to driving the speakers (and they are well matched).

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Send the Quads off for some modifications, apparently they can be made to sound extremely good. I wouldn’t know what speakers to suggest.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to all for your input.

Pete68 – interesting idea but I have had them both serviced by Quad recently. I know they can be 'upgraded' or modified but that might not mean better. From what I've read some of the mods available make them sound like some more modern brighter sounding amps, something I'm trying to avoid. Thanks anyway, the suggestion might be useful for others in a similar situation and I know some others on these forums have had great success modding their Quads. Can anyone clarify if my understanding is correct?

CnoEvil – I can see your point with building a system around a good amp. With a good enough amp you will always get the best from speakers (as long as they are well matched as you said). What Hi-Fi even had a recommended system using 4-star speakers as the CD/amp combo had such good control it 'fixed' the problem with the speakers bass! Others say to spend twice as much on speakers than on the amp which I can also see working but you would probably never get the best from them and may end up with an unbalanced system.

lindsayt – I think the ESL-63's would make the biggest difference as, from what I understand, they have a totally different presentation from standard speakers. Others have also suggested I might like the ESL-63's. The Quad amps supposedly work well with them as the 303 is stable at very low ohm ratings.

Only thing is making sure I have enough room for ESL-63's!

I'm in no rush so I might go for a few demo’s over the next few months to see if its worth the change of amp or speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts