Upgrade ageing system, but where to start ....

stealth1980

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, im new on here, but ive been reading WHF for around 10 years which was just after i made my first venture into hifi. I handed over my first wage packet for a pair of Mission 734i with 73c centre speaker and 731 surround speakers. I later bought a paradigm PS1000 active sub to complete my 5.1 home theatre in addition to an ageing yamaha (forget the model).

So my system at the moment after years of upgrades is looking slightly dated as marriage and a daughter knocked it down the priorities list:

Arcam CD72

Arcam A85 Amp (not changing this i still love it)

Van Der Hull The Storm 3 interconnect

QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire speaker cable

Marantz 6.1 AV amp

Pioneer PDP-435XDE

The mission speaker set up is the same, except i replaced the 731 rears with 77ds

Ok the set up goes .... the arcam drives the 734s, for cd playback, then the front channel pre-outs from the Marantz go into the Arcam for home cinema, at the time when i built this system the Arcam was class leading and AV amps were some what behind it in terms musicality. I listen to a wide range of music from The Beatles to Foo Fighters to various trance and dance. Ive just bought the excellent Sony BD370 having read the review, and the Onkyo SR 608 is going to follow forcing the Marantz into redundency. im also currently considering another pair of 77ds to take up the 6th and 7th channels offered by the onkyo and i will be using QED Reference HDMI to connect it all together to the Pioneer plasma.

So my question is, where do i go next? Can the zone2 pre-out of the onkyo be used as a front channel pre-out?

stealth1980

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Ive just done some more reading on the onkyo, and i may have a problem. I need front pre-outs to connect through my arcam to the front speakers. Is it possible to use the zone 2 pre-outs as pre-outs to my arcam and use it in 7.1 mode? cause ive read some conflicting info and now im a bit lost

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts