Upgrade Advice Please!!

Messiah

Hi Guys,

For stereo at the moment I currently use a Pioneer AX3i receiver, Pioneer DVD-LX50 DVD player with Mission 750LE Speakers.

My question is this - Would the Marantz CD-6002 provide me with a noticeable step up in quality over my DVD player?? Or would I have to spend more??

All suggestions appreciated!

John Duncan

Um.......it's a better CD player without a doubt, but the rest of the system will limit what it can do. I'd be more inclined to spend the 200 quid elsewhere (though tbh, not sure where), or save it until you can buy a receiver that's more musical (or add a stereo amp and hook it into your AV system).

Messiah

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. It really confirmed my own suspicions! I would say that I definitely spend an equal amount between movies and music and so the whole surround sound is important. But whilst I have no issues with the surround the music is just not quite right...

I was considering upgrading the speakers as well at some point to the B&W 685's (and the centre at a later date) Whilst I am quite open to the idea of a separate Amp, I am not sure if the other half will be. I used to always like the idea of a Surround Processor linked to a stereo amp as you really got the best of both worlds.

So any suggestions for a better Receiver or amp and processor. Budget is not a massive issue but I have no need for stuff that is too expensive.

A

Anonymous

Since u are interested in getting CD6002, why dont u get 6002 combo (amp and cdp), this award winning combo wont let u down

Messiah

I guess using a separate amp is the best way to go really. Using the Pre-Outs on the receiver.

The only item that would be a bit awkward would be using the sub. I always use the sub for music and I would now have to connect it to the stereo amp with speaker wire. Not a massive issue but my cables have all been nicely tucked away and I currently use a QED Quontor lead connecting the sub to the receiver.

Then there is the issue of space for the amp......what we have to go through for our Hi-Fi nirvana eh!

I am down to two options at present. Run a second system but that is just annoying as I would be relegated to the bedroom or simply save and buy a much better receiver like the Onkyo 875....

Decisions, decisions.....................

A

Anonymous

If the space is an issue for adding a cd player and amp why not save a little harder for a cyrus 6 cd and amp (good deals to be had at the moment). Or go on ebay and buy one of the older cyrus models, i just picked a cyrus 3 on ebay for £127 which i would take over any budget marantz kit. The good think about cyrus kit is it will fit into waste space that many racks have, my tv rack for example isnt quite wide enough to accomodate 2 stacks of kit but i can fit cyrus size kit on the right hand of my av amp, sky, dvd stack

Messiah

Cheers for the advice!

I am going to audition some MA-RS1 and B&W 685 with a Cyrus CD6 and Amp and see how that sounds.

I am actually thinking of ditching the surround until I can afford something decent that will not compromise the Stereo.

We'll see how it goes.....

A

Anonymous

You will probably be better with the b&w's as from what ive read monitor audios are a bit on the bright side as is the cyrus kit. The b&w's are warmer and should suit the cyrus better.

What music do you listen to and are you only considering standmounts

Messiah

I listen to a range of music but mostly Rap and R&B. The issue I have is that the music just sounds so restrained. I once listened many years ago to a Meridian 506 and Meridian 555 with some Meridian floorstanders and it was simply amazing. I don't have this kind of dough but I am pretty sure I can better what I have for a reasonable outlay.

I am only considering standmounts for a couple of reasons.

1. They have to be situated either side of the TV on the sideboards. (Not ideal I know as they would be better on stands but there is no getting this past the other half!)

2. I simply prefer having standmounts running in conjunction with a sub. I believe that a sub will always produce better bass than a floorstander - as it should)Additionally I have no room for floorstanders as noted in point 1.

A

Anonymous

Fair enough, but im not taking the other half excuse. When it comes to hi fi and av in my house i decide what speakers and kit we accomodate in the room and i rule with an iron fist (its the only way). If you give them an inch they take a mile and will have you buying a micro sytem or something.

I would imagine the cyrus kit would suit you pretty well, im not as sure on speakers through, i cant see a problem with b&w 685s but someone else on here might recommend some different speakers for rap/hip hop

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I can just see the headline in The Sun tomorrow.

Messiah searching for Heavenly sound in Sevenoaks Sound & Vision.

Do you think he got the Marantz? Or should he have gone for the Cambridge? Email godknows@thesun.co.uk and win an all expenses paid trip to the the Travel Inn in Bethlehem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts