Upgrade advice from Sonos Play 5 Gen 2

Rangemyr

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,

First post here and I am really excited! I know similar questions most likely have been posted before so please forgive me and point me in the right direction if that is the case.

Anythow, I am a 30 year old man in Sweden, looking to upgrade my current Sonos Play 5 Gen 2. I've enjoyed music all my life and play piano and guitar daily and so I am thinking it is time to take my listening more seriously. As a first step, I've started to look at new speakers. Below I have listed roughly how and when I'll use them, if that is of any help when advising.

My current budget is around 3,000 EUR maximum (do I need to say I prefer less?).

1. I will rarely just sit in the Sweetspot of the soundstage and listen to music. Currently, I listen to music all day long while working from home, which means I am moving around between the sofa, the dinner table and a home built standing desk. All in the same room though. I will also use those new speakers when hanging in my kitchen, which sits close to my living room without any door or walls between. it's an open floor planning.
2. I will use the speakers for TV sounds as well. I am more keen to be able to listen to great music, so I am ready to accept some shortages in TV sound. But might be worth mentioning.
3. I have looked at both the KEF LS50 Wireless 2 and the KEF LSX paired with a sub. Seems like really good options and the LSX with a sub could possible be a better package for movies etc. Also sneaked on Buchardt A500 but that is way over my current budget.
4. In my current apartment, the speakers would need to stay pretty close to the rear wall. I think I'll be able to setup a 30 cm space but more than that will be hard. I can live with that, as I am planning on moving to a bigger apartment fairly soon.

I think the above is what you need to know, but please feel free to ask more questions where need be and I'll be happy to try and answer all!

THANKS so much in advance! This is clearly a jungle and a black hole for a wallet, haha.

All the best,
Adam

insider9

Hey and greetings for the UK. First of, I'd like to thank you and your countryman for all the amazing music coming out of Sweden. Opeth, EST, Arne Domnerus and Meshuggah are probably my favourite but I'm not averse to some occasional ABBA.

Having read your conundrum I'd be tempted to say wait until you move. Your room and listening habits will dictate the direction. It doesn't seem you're unhappy not that you have an intrinsic need to upgrade.

All I'm reading from your post is that you have some money to spend and feel that you should start listening more seriously. Well done on the cash front in these time not a bad place to be in. And to the second point I'd wait until your listening habits are such that you can clearly point out weaknesses of your system and most importantly these bother you in some ways. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Rangemyr

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Hey and greetings for the UK. First of, I'd like to thank you and your countryman for all the amazing music coming out of Sweden. Opeth, EST, Arne Domnerus and Meshuggah are probably my favourite but I'm not averse to some occasional ABBA.

Having read your conundrum I'd be tempted to say wait until you move. Your room and listening habits will dictate the direction. It doesn't seem you're unhappy not that you have an intrinsic need to upgrade.

All I'm reading from your post is that you have some money to spend and feel that you should start listening more seriously. Well done on the cash front in these time not a bad place to be in. And to the second point I'd wait until your listening habits are such that you can clearly point out weaknesses of your system and most importantly these bother you in some ways. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Hey and thanks so much for the kind words.

You are pretty much straight on point in everything you say. I happen to have a bunch of monies over (thanks employer for WFH compensation) and thought to spend it on something I enjoy. What could be added is that I auditioned the LSX with sub and LS50 Wireless earlier this week in a audiophile store. It just became so much more entertaining to listen, and enjoy, my favourite tracks. Hence the reason. I actually think the Sonos is monies well spent but compared to the KEFs, it is on another level, clearly.

insider9

Knowing you're moving soon I'd look to treat yourself in a different way and wait until you know your new room. There's a risk that your investment will lead to disappointment after you've moved. Or won't be as big of an improvement as you were hoping. As someone who also plays I'd treat myself with a new instrument. It always works. You can never have too many guitars.

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

I'll +1 the "wait 'till you move suggestion". A system is highly dependant on the room it's in, and a bigger space might leave room for better possibilities. Maybe even save just a bit more and audition some other stuff in the meantime, like Naim's Uniti Atom with Revel Performa 3 m106 or Russell K or even Focal Chora 826, or Aria 906 if you're looking for standmounts. (or a temporary budget streamer with a Naim Nait XS3 or used Supernait 2). The speakers I suggested have a pretty wide sweet-spot, and Naim stuff just gets music right. Since you're in Sweden, you should also give serious consideration to Hegel's H120 - I do like Naim's stuff better, but Hegel are also awesome. Oh, and Densen amplification too (the B130xs comes to mind).

Reactions: insider9

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Instead of the LSX plus kef sub or LS50 W Meta I'd get a heavily discounted Ls50W mk I and the new Kef sub. I personally think you get better value that way.

I am using the Wireless Meta.

Regardless which way you go the small LSX is really for smaller rooms.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts