Upgarde advice required

whaleway

Oct 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I am in the market to upgrade my current Hi-Fi system and have a feq ideas but would like some other ideas that I could consider.

The speakers that I have in mind are the Kef R500. I have read fanastic reviews about these and they sound just what I am looking for at about my max price that I am prepared to pair for a new pair of speakers.

When it comes to an amplifier I have some ideas here but am open to offers. I have been hearing good things about the Cyrus range so fancy the Cyrus 8 DAC amplifier. I have a budget of approx £1500 for the amplifier but will spend more if there is a better one to be had.

Finally I will keep my Arcam CD73 player dor the time being but will be in the market for a new one as this will be my main source for listening as I have a large CD collection. Please advise od a good upgrade from the CD73 for future reference.

Advice welcomed please.

My current system comprises:-

Arcam CD73

Marantz PM6002

Montior Audio BR5 speakers

AKG K702 Headphones

AK

matthewpiano

My experience is that KEF speakers pair rather nicely with Rega electronics, so I'd be looking to try the R500s with an Elex-R or Elicit-R. If it is anything like the Brio-R/Q100 combination you'll get a nicely controlled, spacious sound with excellent tonal balance but plenty of punch and rhythmic grace too. You'll just get more of it!

I heard the new KEF Reference floorstanders with a Rega Osiris a couple of months ago and that was also a fabulous combination.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The most impressive step forwald will be reached in a correct room threatment. If you don't have made any sound mesurements of your room, if you hadn't placed any absorbers, diffusors, bass traps or some other stuff like that, it would be a waste of money to make a step further.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
The most impressive step forwald will be reached in a correct room threatment. If you don't have made any sound mesurements of your room, if you hadn't placed any absorbers, diffusors, bass traps or some other stuff like that, it would be a waste of money to make a step further.

Not true.

While I'm not denying the improvements that room treatment can bring that doesn't mean that big improvements can't be found buy upgrading just the amplifiers and speakers. Most domestic European rooms don't have any serious acoustic issues and room treatment is only going to be of a limited benefit in the majority of cases.

The OP's current amplifier and speakers aren't particularly great and IMO bigger benefits will be found by upgrading these first.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd fully support your choice of cyrus. Great products and additional power supplies are available at sane money, at least compared to some.

PS. I did try to quote one of your sentences (cyrus but more money available if better is to be had) but the site wouldn't let me. There is always better, how far are you prepared to go?

The idiots that have designed the current site format have still not managed to make it useable as others have done ...

TRENDING THREADS