Updated Hifi Problem.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently decided to update my aging budget system from the very early 90's. Memorex 505 speakers. Arcam Alpha 3 amp. Rotel RCA 965BX. Monster cable interlink 400 cables. Oxygen free monster cables for the speakers. Well I say update, it was the fact the 505 speakers were massive; took up allot of room and not the last word in quality. Excellent bass if you were into rave music back then. Also the arcam volume pot crackled; the tech guy at arcam said there was no way they could repair it as it was about 20 years old. Anyway, I did the newbie thing and looked around, read a few reviews and popped off to Richer sounds. Came back with some new bits of kit. Kef IQ5SE in ash black. Bi-wire with no connectors. Ixos XHS553 sliver plated speaker cables. CA 650A. CA AUD 500 interconnect. CA 540P MM phono amp. Pro-ject genie Mk 2. (not a good eBay purchase). Ortofon OM5E. Rotel RCA965BX (decided to keep as it still works). I am using the original the original monster cable interlink 400 CD player cables to connect the 540P phono amp to the 640A. The problem is that there is audible white noise that increases as I increase the volume. This is when the CD player is on and no track is being played. The white noise vanishes when the CD player is switched off. The units are side by side about 8 inches apart and separated by a 3 X 14 inch length of MDF. The other slight problem is the non bargain eBay genie Mk2 seems to hum slightly. This hum increases as I increase the volume. I have checked all the earths and cleanly/solidly re-soldered the cartridge connectors and covered them with heat shrink. I was told by a chap at the hifi retailers that some people have had earth issues with some genie turn tables. The phono amp is next to the turn table with a 3 inch gap separating them. The TT and phono amp are placed above the 650A. There is a vertical air gap of about 5 inches and a 3 inch thick MDF table top separating the tt/phono amp and integrated amp. If anyone can suggest how to solve the white noise and hum issues I would be grateful.

matthewpiano

I have experienced noise from an RCD965BX interfering with an amplifier before, just as you outline. I think its probably time to retire it and aim for a 650C to match your new amp.

Regarding the entry level Pro-ject turntables, I feel they are grossly over-rated. I had a Debut III with a similar issue and it also had a very noisy power transformer. The sound wasn't even that great so I ditched it. Using an old JVC belt drive at present which is much better, but I fully intend to get a new turntable later in the year, probably a Rega or a Thorens.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your help and advice. I am reasonable happy with the genie so far. It is much better than the Bush MTT1 that I was using. Though I would like to get something better in the future. I have looked at two CD units 650C and CD6003. Is one more suited to my set up than the other? Is it better to stick to one make or mix and match? How do these two units compare to each other? Is there a good sub £500 turn table which you or anyone would recommend? Again any advice is most welcome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts