Update on the Cyrus 2. Probably a mistake, I know...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably I'll regret this.

Ever since I picked-up a 'for parts/not working' Cyrus 2 and finding out that only the power-amp section was dud (though it’s now fixed, see my other recent thread), I've been itching to try it with a PSX. But three things have always conspired against me:

• I've not been able to find the 'right' one for sale (to cosmetically match my Type 7 amp with an LED and toggle-switch)
• I've found one but it's collection-only from somewhere near Venus
• I've found one but it's being sold with a matching amp just like mine, I can't justify the expense of buying the pair, and the seller won't split.

Then last night, actually while I was checking-out how much I could perhaps get for my now-working Cyrus 2 amp on eBay, I go and find a PSX :oops: . Right type, reasonable price, being sold on its own, and the seller will post. So I did it.

Half of me can’t wait to try it, the other half of me is worried. Worried because in order to fund the Cyrus PSX, I'll really have to sell my PM66KI (besides which, I have nowhere to store it).

Easy, you say, just sell the combo you least prefer the sound of. Yes, technically it is that simple, but I know that I'm the worst person in the world for assessing new gear objectively. 'Different' to me nearly always sounds 'better' (well unless the gap's a mile wide) and only in the long term do I realise that I should probably have kept what I had. I've swapped and changed HiFi components several times over the years after realising too late that what I thought was an upgrade was at best a sideways move.

I will report back when I receive it and give it a try. Expect a sea of superlatives from me while my ears and brain acclimatize to the new sound. But after they've done that, will I still think it's better... :?

Of course the first thing I now have to do is go back in it and whip-out the two fuses I just put in! Ah well. :roll:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Major, you have a fairly ingrained case of "Nostalgic Tweaky-itus"....but go with the flow, I say......and then report back! :grin:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well you know how it is. I'm just a bit behind the times. Like Great Uncle Bulgaria. If I'm still around in 2032 I'll be reviewing these new-fangled streamers and CrushedBoxes or whatever you call them.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
'Different' to me nearly always sounds 'better' (well unless the gap's a mile wide)

I know that feeling. The only thing preventing me from ending up with a stack of different kit I can swap in and out is the size of my apartment, but if I move somewhere bigger with space for a second system:O

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I completed about three hours listening last night to the Cyrus 2 (no PSX yet) and I think as it stands I prefer the presentation of the Marantz. The Cyrus does seem to open a much bigger window onto the music than the Marantz, but through my Mission 794s and in my listening environment the bass is too dry for me and lacks impact, giving the impression of a tonally-skewed presentation. I might be wrong but I can't see the PSX 'fixing' this for me at the volumes I listen. I'd be in heaven if all I ever listened to were string ensembles and piano concertos, but I like an amp that can Can-Can with its skirt pulled up. We'll see.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nice and honest assessment of yourself. I am sure you're not the only one either that has or will have a similar dilemma.

I trust you will make the right decision pet

regards

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thought I'd give an update on this, to give it a bit of closure.

I've been listening to the Cyrus II+PSX on and off now for nearly a week. I've put in probably 15-20 hours of listening.

I must say that if any audition was ever going to be positively tainted by expectation bias, then this was. I've been longing to try this combination for 25 years, ever since I read the glowing review in WHF when I was a teenager, but I never had the money to buy them new.

What I love: the detail, the expansive three-dimensional sound stage, the way it unravels layers of music and presents everything in an uncluttered soundscape, the absolutely brilliant phono stage (not tested this week but I've used it before), plenty of grunt in reserve, effortless presentation, never sounds like it's struggling to summon the power.

What I don't like: with my speakers and in my living room, it's just too forward and brash. Bass is deep but too dry and never dares to whack you in the chest. Trumpets can scream at you, and even some vocals can sound 'shouty'. Too often you feel like turning it down because it's absolutely throwing the music at you. If I spent all my time listening to chamber music, piano, guitars or string orchestras, this would be fantastic. But I don't. In my listening environment and with my speakers, for all its detail, clarity and depth, it's too shrill and bright. Shame. With different speakers and in also perhaps a different environment, I can see this combo would really shine. But not here, sadly.

Back to my Marantz.

But hey, you gotta try these things haven't you?

TRENDING THREADS