Universal disc spinners?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
My system consists of Arcam AV9/P7, Pioneer LX51 BDP, Apple TV (lossless files for music), Pioneer 5090 TV, and PMC FB1i TB2 DB1i speakers.

Since upgrading the speakers I am really listening to loads more music. Currently I do not have a dedicated CD player, all my music being streamed from the computer in lossless format via the apple TV, and since having had a demo of my friend's old Sony SACD player in his system, I really want to get a player that will enable me to play CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As.

The AV9 only has one set of multichannel analogue inputs, so to be able to watch blu rays as well as SACD/DVD-A I need a universal spinner I guess. I have no room for any more equipment on my rack either. I cannot justify the expense of upgrading to the Arcam AV888 and buying a separate SACD spinner either before anyone suggests that one!

I was very excited about the possibility of the Oppo, but would not buy a 'grey' import having been caught out with a car many years ago.

As far as I can see, this leaves me with the Denon 4010UD, or the upcoming Cambridge Audio.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with either? All I really want is Blu Ray picture and sound quality at least as good as my Pioneer currently, with the added option of being able to play these other formats. Is the Denon as good as the Pioneer for blu rays? Is it likely the Cambridge Audio will even match up to the Pioneer in these areas? I would rather not spend the Denon money if the Cambridge is on a par with what I already have, but then what does the extra money buy you with the Denon?

First hand experience really appreciated. Supposition gossip and slander will do though it nothing else available!

Is a What HIFI review of the Denon forthcoming?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes I have been following this thread. Only problem is there is no comparison to the Pioneer player so doesnt really answer my concerns.

As the Cambridge wont be available till Feb at the earliest there is time for more info and comparisons to come to light though I guess.

Thanks for the link.

gregvet:

All I really want is Blu Ray picture and sound quality at least as good as my Pioneer currently

You have an Arcam receiver, so sound quality shouldn't really be an issue for you.

I really cannot comment on the Cambridge Audio's blu-ray picture quality, but I will be surprised if there's any appreciable difference in the picture quality as compared to the Pioneer.

The high end Denon DBP4010UD will certainly be better than the entry level Pioneer BDP-51FD (is yours Lx-51 or 51FD?)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes sorry its the Pioneer BDP 51FD.

The Arcam does not do audio over HDMI, so I have to use the analogue outs from the Blu Ray player to get the Hidef codecs. For this reason I believe the Blu Ray player plays quite a big part in audio quality (certainly more so than if sending audio over HDMI for decoding by the amp). The Arcam certainly sounds great, but if fed rubbish will only be amplifying rubbish in my situation! I heard a massive improvement when I upgraded from the Sony S550 to the Pioneer 51FD both feeding the Arcam AV9 via the analogue outs/ins, and I don't want to go back to what I had previously. Hope that all makes sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts