UnitiLite and Bass Control

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a Marantz MCR-603 with Monitor Audio RX1 speakers. Out of curiousity, I asked my local dealer for a home demo of the Naim UnitiLite. Firstly, I must say that in terms of the user experience the Lite is really great, especially the streaming function. The MCR603 feels very cumbersome now in comparison. One thing that surprised me about the Lite is how controlled the bass is almost to the point of some upbeat music such as commercial pop sounding a little flat. I would probably increase the bass for certain genres of music if the UnitiLite had tone control (which it doesn't). Is this down to the RX1s or is it typical of the Naim sound? Also, does the UnitiQute have a similar sound? I must say that the Naim sounds great with slower and acoustic tracks.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
malifact said:
One thing that surprised me about the Lite is how controlled the bass is almost to the point of some upbeat music such as commercial pop sounding a little flat. [...] Is this down to the RX1s or is it typical of the Naim sound? Also, does the UnitiQute have a similar sound?

I can't say anything about the Unitilite or Unitiqute, but I've just got back from a side-by-side comparison of the Superuniti and the Linn Majik DSM, and the experience you describe is exactly what I found. The rhythm and bounce of the Naim box seems to have been bought at the cost of attenuating the lower frequencies. Later this evening I'll go into a bit more detail on this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/superuniti-vs-sonos

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry post did not go up, I feel naim are not warm bassy amps at all tbh I only had a chance to listen to B&W 804d with a unity amp and felt I was a good sound but no reall low notes what the speakers can produce

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Strange because I listened to a SuperNait via some Quad 12L standmounts and I was really impressed with the bass (and the balance overall TBH) had I had the money I would have been quite happy to relieve the dealer of one!

Tommo

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
tomlinscote said:
Strange because I listened to a SuperNait via some Quad 12L standmounts and I was really impressed with the bass (and the balance overall TBH) had I had the money I would have been quite happy to relieve the dealer of one!

Tommo

No, I get that completely. I spent all Monday and Tuesday demoing the Superuniti at home and absolutely loved it. It was only when I did a side-by-side comparison with the Majik DSM this afternoon that I felt the Naim box had shortcomings.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
never had any experience of Linn kit prob due to its high price but always willing to listen to something new. Shame I now live several hundred miles from a dealer!! I only get to visit nice shops when I go back to see my folks, life in the country can have its downsides, but at least my savings are still intact :)

Tommo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts