Unison Research Unico CDE

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
After a few days of excitement, and wonder at the actual size of this behemoth, different depending on whichever review you read, I finally parted with a substantial amount of money.

Just to put this into context, I was running an Arcam CD192 which to my ears is a very good CDP, and thoroughly enjoyable. I still have the rest of an Arcam set-up and Kudos C2 speakers which are relatively new. But the time and opportunity presented iteself to buy myself a serious piece of verging on hi-end equipment at a cracking price and delivered with a 2 year warranty to boot.

First impressions, of course after the 30 second 'valve warm-up' countdown was impressive, a very organic sound emanating from the Kudos, a little less brittle than what I've been used to, a little more analogue perhaps.

I put on a couple of favourite albums, Tracey Chapman came to the fore, a superb voice and something I have listened to on a regular basis recently. Well, she has a great voice, an often I've suggested (on these forums and to my own mind) that she is a huge talent and someone who has been singing in my front room. Never before has it been quite so realistic. Don't get me wrong, I've been very impressed with my system and it has offered me hours upon hours of pleasure, but this added something, a touch of musicality, expression, joy perhaps; a rounded sound that the likes of Cyrus just couldn't touch.

It seemed a little quieter than I was used to and I had to turn the volume up to a level higher to get the same sense, but after this thought, I sat and listened, a friend appeared unexpectedly early too, someone who stayed on my sofa two weeks prior having been overcome with the quality of sound on offer. This time he didn't put the TV on at all, but tested my system while I went out with the missus for a quick meal. On our return, he looked sheepish and there were many CDs lying around. Need I say more?

Well I'm going to.

It's smooth, and if you could imagine the Cadbury's flake girl sitting on your windowsill you're getting close.

I read many reports, buying blind you really have to, but I'm happy that I know the kind of reproduction that appeals to my ear, and I'm not wrong.

Having 'lived' with it now for a good period of time, 3 days in fact, I can say that it sounds wonderful, and looks the part to to my eyes, possibly a little big for some...but I now want the matching amp which I will get.

Trying to describe the sound, I would say that it's simple, uncluttered, the separation of voice and instruments is up there with chocolate profiteroles in the lap of the gods. But above all its sheer musicality is astounding, it makes the CD192 sound a touch false - no it's not 2 1/2 times as good but it is lovely.

In summary, I've struck lucky again; it's the sort of playback I like. A lot.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
good to hear it - nothing wrong with buying blind sometimes as long as you do your research and are buying quality products - have bought a lot blind but before have always read numerous views form different ppl both hi fi press and forum member to assess their thoughts and how that fits my choice in music

just made my latest blind purchase a rel b2 sub - big concern as you is its size its a big sub but everything i have read points strongly to my tastes.

if it doesn't work out will sell on but don't see why it shouldn't - not really been caught out yet!!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:
good to hear it - nothing wrong with buying blind sometimes as long as you do your research and are buying quality products - have bought a lot blind but before have always read numerous views form different ppl both hi fi press and forum member to assess their thoughts and how that fits my choice in music

just made my latest blind purchase a rel b2 sub - big concern as you is its size its a big sub but everything i have read points strongly to my tastes.

ÿif it doesn't work out will sell on but don't see why it shouldn't - not really been caught out yet!!!

Well I agreed with UKD that I could send it back if I didn't like it and for a little more than half RRP I couldn't really lose. The WHF review is pretty accurate, it's a beautiful sound, laid back but beautiful.

ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
valvs/tubes - first time you hear them in a cd/dac you suddenly realise how much more organic/real music can sound

just not always the best with rock which i know you say isn't your first choice - tracy chapman always a great place to start

I also like to try rachel yamagata as she has an amazing smokey voice

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:
valvs/tubes - first time you hear them in a cd/dac you suddenly realise how much more organic/real music can sound

just not always the best with rock which i know you say isn't your first choice - tracy chapman always a great place to start

Iÿalso like to try rachel yamagata as she has an amazing smokey voice

I'll give her a go, so to speak.ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:matengawhat:

ÿif it doesn't work out will sell on but don't see why it shouldn't - not really been caught out yet!!!

Well I agreed with UKD that I could send it back if I didn't like it and for a little more than half RRP I couldn't really lose. The WHF review is pretty accurate, it's a beautiful sound, laid back but beautiful.

ÿ

Looking forward to hearing your views on the Unison's DAC and a lossless file or two Joel. Maybe an A B test against the same cd??

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:matengawhat:

ÿ

Looking forward to hearing your views on the Unison's DAC and a lossless file or two Joel. Maybe an A B test against the same cd??

Still waiting for the Airport Express...

ÿ

A

Anonymous

The first time I heard a Unison single ended triode valve amp with valve CDP and Sonus Faber speakers I was knocked out. OK, the speakers needed a bit more power to drive the bass but the midrange and treble were stunningly natural and three dimensional. If the amp was more grunty then I would have bought it all there and then, esp at the price being offered. We tried a Cyrus amp in the same session and it sounded broken. Funny old game hifi. Valve colour really does seem to add magic.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Excellent write up
emotion-21.gif

Now you know what I mean when I posted that you can buy better than Arcam
emotion-5.gif

All the best mate

TM

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:The first time I heard a Unison single ended triode valve amp with valve CDP and Sonus Faber speakers I was knocked out. OK, the speakers needed a bit more power to drive the bass but the midrange and treble were stunningly natural and three dimensional. If the amp was more grunty then I would have bought it all there and then, esp at the price being offered. We tried a Cyrus amp in the same session and it sounded broken. Funny old game hifi. Valve colour really does seem to add magic.

You're right Iggs. Nick Drake is standing in front of me, and surprisingly he has the same hairstyle as JD (I imagine).

ÿ

A

Anonymous

That's nothing, I've got Alison Krauss in front of me right now
emotion-4.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:That's nothing, I've got Alison Krauss in front of me right now
emotion-4.gif

Does she look like John Duncan as well? Uck.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:
Excellent write up
emotion-21.gif

Now you know what I mean when I posted that you can buy better than Arcamÿ
emotion-5.gif

All the best mate

TM

ÿ

ÿ

There's still some Arcam in play TM. I don't agree with you on those as I think they are very good for the money, a nice perspective on music. But yes it can get better (like Norwich).

And no doubt your golf swing!

ÿ

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Thaiman:
Excellent write up
emotion-21.gif

Now you know what I mean when I posted that you can buy better than Arcam
emotion-5.gif

All the best mate

TM

There's still some Arcam in play TM. I don't agree with you on those as I think they are very good for the money, a nice perspective on music. But yes it can get better (like Norwich).

emotion-39.gif

I Never ever said Arcam is bad! but it wasn't the best at the price imo. and Norwich will get better, no doubt....any worst and we will be in confrenece playing with village team!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:JoelSim:Thaiman:
Excellent write up
emotion-21.gif

Now you know what I mean when I posted that you can buy better than Arcamÿ
emotion-5.gif

All the best mate

TM

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

I Never ever said Arcam is bad!ÿ but it wasn't the best at the price imo.ÿ and Norwich will get better, no doubt....any worst and we will be in confrenece playing with village team!

I live near Arsenal, and although I don't support them, they are a pleasure to watch. Went on Sunday. No frozen mash here ÿ

John Duncan

JoelSim:
igglebert:That's nothing, I've got Alison Krauss in front of me right now
emotion-4.gif

Does she look like John Duncan as well? Uck.

No, I don't show my age as much. Though her cute saucy haircut is better than mine. And sorry to disappoint, but I haven't looked like Nick Drake since about '86.

We should compare collections one day JS, we appear to have quite similar tastes on the female singer-songwriter front...

A

Anonymous

Dear friend,

Do you still own the U. Research cde player? If you own it, What's your opinion about it after these years?

I'm thinking in this machine to combine with my U. Research P70 valve amp, and Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Speakers. Do you think it's a good election?

Thank's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts