Unipivot tonearms and end-of-side distortion

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, Apologies for the late post (as if it keeps any of you up anyway), but sat here listening to the doors, it has occurred to me - and I don't think it's the drambuie/talisker blend that keeps evaporating from my tumbler - that my Radius almost never suffers from end-of-side distortion. Something that my old Rega 2 got in spades. Now, I remember someone writing something in Hi-Fi Review when I was still a schoolkid about the Naim Aro also managing to get around this problem. So is this something unique to unipivots, or am I just wittering on aided and abetted by the Isle of Skye's finest???

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fatboyslimfast"] that my Radius almost never suffers from end-of-side distortion.[/quote]

I'm a recent owner of the Roksan deck and I've been marvelling at the very same thing all week. This very evening I've listened to Booker T & the MG's, Kraftwerk, Morrissey, Tracey Chapman, Zep and The Beatles and had fantastic playback right to the end groove of each side.

Yay!!! Plus, I'm only on strong Assam at the moment, so can confirm it's not the devil water betwitching your ears.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Given I wouldn't be able to buy anything for less than a grand, and I don't have any records that would be a bad idea. Happy enough with CD, biamps and a couple of very nice sets of speakers

A

Anonymous

The fact that you're even on this thread is proof positive that you want to buy a turntable. It's only a matter of time...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
ok, fair point. A good TT doesn't have to cost that much (picked mine up ex-dem for £450), but if you have no vinyl, then that could be a stumbling block.

I don't think even a koetsu black would sound good playing a CD...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't actually. I would if money was no object obviously but as it stands a new kitchen and perhaps me setting up a hifi website has to take precedence

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I bought my dad a Project TT for Xmas last year and it's alright but no better than his Arcam 6 CD. He just has loads of vinyl and used to have a P12D. I have to say that aside from an unbelievable TT and WB Square speakers at the WHFS&V show last year I don't hear much difference over what I have

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"]And new vinyl sounds Soooo good.[/quote]

Some of the old stuff sounds simply stunning too. Over the last month or so I've been slowly unpacking bags of vinyl accumulated over a thirty year period. Each batch contains about 25 albums or 12inch singles, and naturally I inspect them prior to playing them. Visually some look in great condition but play badly and vice versa. It's a lottery as to whether they're playable or not. Literally, a mixed bag. I've read previous posts about vinyl cleaning devices and I'm intrigued but not convinced about whether they will work. I've got an anti-static carbon filter brush and some stylus fluid cleaner but does anyone have any other tips for vinyl restoration and care?

John Duncan

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"][quote user="nads"]And new vinyl sounds Soooo good.[/quote]

Some of the old stuff sounds simply stunning too. Over the last month or so I've been slowly unpacking bags of vinyl accumulated over a thirty year period. Each batch contains about 25 albums or 12inch singles, and naturally I inspect them prior to playing them. Visually some look in great condition but play badly and vice versa. It's a lottery as to whether they're playable or not. Literally, a mixed bag. I've read previous posts about vinyl cleaning devices and I'm intrigued but not convinced about whether they will work. I've got an anti-static carbon filter brush and some stylus fluid cleaner but does anyone have any other tips for vinyl restoration and care?[/quote]

(I should be on commission.)

Get a Knosti Disco Antistat for 45 quid. Whoever said wet cleaning doesn't work (Linn and Rega, for starters) is simply wrong. There are others here who can attest to its efficacy as well but for my part, it's one of the most important pieces of hifi I own.

Or send done of your dirty records to me and I'll show you
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]Hi all,

Apologies for the late post (as if it keeps any of you up anyway), but sat here listening to the doors, it has occurred to me - and I don't think it's the drambuie/talisker blend that keeps evaporating from my tumbler - that my Radius almost never suffers from end-of-side distortion. Something that my old Rega 2 got in spades.

Now, I remember someone writing something in Hi-Fi Review when I was still a schoolkid about the Naim Aro also managing to get around this problem.

So is this something unique to unipivots, or am I just wittering on aided and abetted by the Isle of Skye's finest???

[/quote]

Do you have a copy of Joan Armatrading's first album? Does it play "Save me" without distorting? If it does, I'm buying one!!!
emotion-1.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fatboyslimfast"][quote user="JoelSim"]If I had a TT then I would join in this thread[/quote]
Go on, get a tt, you know your ears will thank you...

[/quote]

Ears that talk ...

John Duncan

I can see how a parallel-tracking arm would sort it out, but a unipivot shouldn't be any better than a twin-pivot. Apart from the fact that unipivots are generally really good (ie expensive) arms .........

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]I bought my dad a Project TT for Xmas last year and it's alright but no better than his Arcam 6 CD. He just has loads of vinyl and used to have a P12D. I have to say that aside from an unbelievable TT and WB Square speakers at the WHFS&V show last year I don't hear much difference over what I have[/quote]

Well, having got both a tt and an Arcam 6 CD, I can catagorically state that the Roksan is a league above the arcam. Don't get me wrong, the arcam is a great player, but in terms of detail and sheer foot-tappingness, the roksan wins every time...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]perhaps me setting up a hifi website has to take precedence[/quote]

Great idea! I've always wanted to set a website up: I had the skills, but not the money. If you ever need any articles written; I'm at your disposal!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts