Unexpected tax rebate… what could possibly go wrong?

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Exactly. Best spend it before I waste the money on frivolous luxuries. So I’m off to Richer Sounds tomorrow to audition some ex-display speakers 🤭

And this afternoon I came across a deal that seemed like a really good idea…
straight.jpg

Which was obviously just a gateway drug to this… I actually think I was pretty reserved with this choice. The Hana ML was calling until I realised that was utterly unnecessary considering my setup,
at33sa_01.png

I shall update tomorrow afternoon after a little trip to the Fulham Road…

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Soo… auditioned some monitor audio gold 300. It wasn’t to be.

When they were good, they were sublime- strings and folk music in particular were exactly what I was hoping for. Sadly, the bass was too prominent at volume, and at that, sometimes a bit flabby or vague. The most disappointing part was an Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam/Nirvana triptych. I found the treble overpowering for almost anything heavy rock adjacent. Also, the size. Didn’t realise they were bigger than my silver 500s.

RS didn’t have any other similar floorstanders for me to try, so I headed up the road to Premium Sounds. Was surprised and impressed by the volume of stock they have ready for demo, I’m booked in next week to check out some speakers from Elac, Fyne Audio, Klipsch and a few others 🤩

On the phono front, I might have heard a Hana ML cartridge. And, well, let’s just say I’m revisiting my MC and preamp budget… stay tuned for more updates in a week!

Oxfordian

Exactly. Best spend it before I waste the money on frivolous luxuries. So I’m off to Richer Sounds tomorrow to audition some ex-display speakers 🤭

straight.jpg

Which was obviously just a gateway drug to this… I actually think I was pretty reserved with this choice. The Hana ML was calling until I realised that was utterly unnecessary considering my setup,
at33sa_01.png

Nothing like an unexpected windfall, enjoy spending the cash.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Nothing like an unexpected windfall, enjoy spending the cash.
Thanks, seems like we’re both on exciting adventures in the vinyl world 😊

Excellent phono preamp and really decent cartridge.....
Well… the fixed output/load of that microgroove could prove to be a problem. And I read about issues picking up signals from mobile masts. Having heard the Hana ML, I’m thinking to step up to a Groove with adjustable gain.

Any recommendations for MC carts up to £k?

Well… the fixed output/load of that microgroove could prove to be a problem. And I read about issues picking up signals from mobile masts. Having heard the Hana ML, I’m thinking to step up to a Groove with adjustable gain.

Any recommendations for MC carts up to £k?
Benz Micro Glider SL?
Hana SL?

Last edited:

straight.jpg

at33sa_01.png

That's some tax rebate. Enjoy your good fortune.

Thanks! I was thinking of pushing the budget to Hana ML. Is the SL good enough?

Had a look at the Benz, think I’d need to shim my rega, but will have a good read up, if it’s worth it, it’s worth it.
The Benz is the best value for money I know of, which is why I have one, although they have gone up a fair bit since I bought mine.
Regards Hana of course the ML is better but I don't know if it's that much better to account for the extra outlay to be honest.

Oxfordian

Yes, next week I am having an introductory chat at my local hifi store, they cover Rega, Michell, Vertere, Linn and a couple of very upmarket brands on the TT front, they have an excellent range of amps including Rega, Sudden, Linn, Naim and Exposure, so looking forward to a good chat and hearing one or two systems.

Very envious of that Tax refund, rather nice spending money that had gone and you didn't expect to see again. Enjoy.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Yes, next week I am having an introductory chat at my local hifi store, they cover Rega, Michell, Vertere, Linn and a couple of very upmarket brands on the TT front, they have an excellent range of amps including Rega, Sudden, Linn, Naim and Exposure, so looking forward to a good chat and hearing one or two systems.

Very envious of that Tax refund, rather nice spending money that had gone and you didn't expect to see again. Enjoy.
It would be nicer if it wasn’t a tax charge that appeared out of the blue last year, and have spent months arguing with HMRC to reverse it. Still, feels like free money. I should be saving this. But it’s been a **** year splitting from my gf & having to pay rent on a flat as well as my mortgage, so I’m over being serious about money.

Sounds like that shop has almost exactly the collection you’d want to explore to make an informed choice about the next step for your tt 👍🏻

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Been pretty quiet here - let's just say demos and research sent me down quite a serious hole of 'what if I saved up a bit more...?'

On that note, there was something I demoed that kinda blew me away, but was out of my budget. Decided to reduce the scope of these upgrades & I pulled the tirgger on something pretty exciting this morning. Updates to come soon :giggle:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Been pretty quiet here - let's just say demos and research sent me down quite a serious hole of 'what if I saved up a bit more...?'

On that note, there was something I demoed that kinda blew me away, but was out of my budget. Decided to reduce the scope of these upgrades & I pulled the tirgger on something pretty exciting this morning. Updates to come soon :giggle:
Temptation is always hard to resist, I eventually succumbed to it :)

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Is this a recent succumbing? Pics or it didn't happen 👀

I'm still pretending like I'm not going to buy the other expensive things as soon as my credit card is paid off next month...
:ROFLMAO:
It was about three years ago when I got the Rubies and Harb's. Need to sort the lounge out first and then find out how I post an image here :)

Mine was easier to succumb to, 35% off RRP and 0% interest over two years... done deal! :)

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I ❤️ Oscar Wilde. He's the hero of pretty much all my hobbies.

“We should treat all the trivial things of life seriously, and all the serious things of life with sincere and studied triviality.”

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

The deep dark mire of upgraditis, we all stand on the edge of that pool from time to time, balancing on the lip of the top step of the staircase that leads to the cave of diminishing returns, occasionally from need but often with the desire to own that new shiny bit of kit, because after all it will improve the SQ from our system ten fold.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Long wait for an update, but this is a big update (literally).

New speakers! Small dog for scale.
IMG-3017.jpg

Elec Vela FS408.

I fell in love with the 407s in a demo. In the giant room they looked teeny tiny, and the lovely salesperson said they had a deal on the 408. Basically the same price as an open box 407. ‘What are they like?’ I asked. A little bit bigger was the answer. Perfect, I thought.

A wait for the speakers to arrive, but nothing had crossed my mind about size & measurements. Now, you might be thinking there’s a lesson in here? You’d be correct.

Welcome to my incredible sounding, but rather room dominating speakers:
IMG-3019.jpg

Right off from the start they sound amazing, exactly how I remember. Crisp, tonnes of detail, not too heavy on the bass. About 3 hours in & not found an album that I don’t love the sound of ☺️

It’s funny running 4ohmn speakers & how much more the amp is working to play at similar levels. Bit worried about heat, will have to keep an eye on that.

Beautiful looking, as well

IMG-3020.jpg

Last edited:

Oxfordian

Long wait for an update, but this is a big update (literally).

New speakers! Small dog for scale.
IMG-3017.jpg

Elec Vela FS408.

I fell in love with the 407s in a demo. In the giant room they looked teeny tiny, and the lovely salesperson said they had a deal on the 408. Basically the same price as an open box 407. ‘What are they like?’ I asked. A little bit bigger was the answer. Perfect, I thought.

A little wait for the speakers to arrive, but nothing had crossed my mind about size & measurements. Now, you might be thinking there’s a lesson in here? You’d be correct.

Welcome to my incredible sounding, but rather room dominating speakers:
IMG-3019.jpg

Right off from the start they sound incredible, exactly how I remember. Crisp, tonnes of detail, not too heavy on the bass. About 3 hours in & not found an album that I don’t love the sound of ☺️

It’s funny running 4ohmn speakers & how much more the amp is working to play at similar levels. Bit worried about heat, will have to keep an eye on that.

Beautiful looking, as well

IMG-3020.jpg
Impressive, they have a very commanding presence in the room, I'm sure you will be enjoying many hours of wonderful music for the foreseeable future. (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts