Unearthed outlet, reduce hum anyway?

Bemar

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
So I found out recently the cause of my turntable hum in my stereo. It's because I have an unearthed outlet.

I have tried to connect it to an earthed outlet and manage to get rid of buzzing briefly. But for this I had to use 4 power strips to reach the earthed outlet upstairs.

now my question is if there is a possible way to get rid of noise in a turntable without an earthed outlet.

Also, now when im playing it from my unearthed outlet - while im ignoring the buzz between tracks, it seems like the buzz increases when I touch the tonearm. Is this associated or is the tonearm not grounded properly as well?

thanks

Bemar said:
So I found out recently the cause of my turntable hum in my stereo. It's because I have an unearthed outlet.

I have tried to connect it to an earthed outlet and manage to get rid of buzzing briefly. But for this I had to use 4 power strips to reach the earthed outlet upstairs.

now my question is if there is a possible way to get rid of noise in a turntable without an earthed outlet.

Also, now when im playing it from my unearthed outlet - while im ignoring the buzz between tracks, it seems like the buzz increases when I touch the tonearm. Is this associated or is the tonearm not grounded properly as well?

thanks

I would suggest that it is associated.

Where do you live that has a mains socket that is unearthed anyway?

What is the turntable and what is it connected to?...... Ignore, just seen your list of equipment...

Normally forearm would be earthed by connecting to the earth pin on your amp but NAD doesn't have one not sure about the Yaquin (I now see it has) but this isn't going to help if those are not somehow earthed.

Bemar

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Myeah. I guess there isnt alot to do except to earth everything. It's an old house in sweden.

as I mentioned there is an earthed outlet on second floor. Would I need to have all the extention cords to be grounded as well for it to function properly? Or it doesnt matter. Sorry I have almost no knowledge about electricity what so ever

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Did you connect your TT earthing output to the phonoamp earth input?

project_debut_carbon_esprit15.jpg

photo_15.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Did you connect your TT earthing output to the phonoamp earth input?

Surely would make little difference if the Yaquin is not grounded.

I was going to suggest to disconnect it. Lots of reports online about this budget Chinese preamp humming. Apparently bad electricals.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Bemar said:
Yes of course I did.

I did try to remove it as well but the humming increases

On DIY Audio forum another owner of the same preamp disconnected some yellow wire connected to the chassis inside it and the hum disappeared.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts