Underwhelming sound from my Rega RP3

Gaz1979

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Afternoon,

As the title says I'm a little underwhelmed by the sound coming from my Rega RP3 at the minute. I have had it a while now and I've modified it slightly over time and currently it has the white band, a new subplatter from Gus and the rega TT PSU upgrade. The cartridge I'm using is a Nagaoka mp-110. All this is going through a Roksan Kandy K2 intergrated amp and a pair of B&W 683 s2's. It's like i'm listening to records with a curtain between myself and the speakers if that makes sense? When i put a CD on I'm blown away by the scale of the music and how good the speakers sound but just don't get that feeling with vinyl. It's only since upgrading the amp and speakers (done at Christmas) that I've noticed this so I'm wondering if it's the cartridge, as I say my CD's have never sounded better? I've printed off some alignement protractors so will try a different set up of the cartridge to see if this helps, the VTA on the arm looks to be fine so I don't think it's that. If any one has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Gaz1979 said:
Afternoon,

As the title says I'm a little underwhelmed by the sound coming from my Rega RP3 at the minute. I have had it a while now and I've modified it slightly over time and currently it has the white band, a new subplatter from Gus and the rega TT PSU upgrade. The cartridge I'm using is a Nagaoka mp-110. All this is going through a Roksan Kandy K2 intergrated amp and a pair of B&W 683 s2's. It's like i'm listening to records with a curtain between myself and the speakers if that makes sense? When i put a CD on I'm blown away by the scale of the music and how good the speakers sound but just don't get that feeling with vinyl. It's only since upgrading the amp and speakers (done at Christmas) that I've noticed this so I'm wondering if it's the cartridge, as I say my CD's have never sounded better? I've printed off some alignement protractors so will try a different set up of the cartridge to see if this helps, the VTA on the arm looks to be fine so I don't think it's that. If any one has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Cheers.

...and I'm Al ears.

You say you have only just noticed this after upgrading the amp / speakers, can I ask what you had before?

Where you happy with the sound before? The Nagaoka is not a bad little cartridge and the phono stage in the Roksan is very good. Have you examined the stylus closely? Is it clean? I assume you have the RP3 connected to the correct inputs? (no I'm not trying to be facetious, I've seen it many times in the past).

Perhaps time for a cartridge upgrade? The Rega arm will take a very good cartridge and, if you have the money I'd suggest moving up the Nagaoka line or for around £130 perhaps the Audio Technica AT440MLa might bring better results.

Hope you get it sorted.

Gaz1979

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Al ears, cheers for the reply. Had a Brio R before and some Tannoy V4s and yeah the sound was good. Stylus could probably do with a proper clean but it's free of any visible fluff/build up and as far as I'm aware everyhting is connected correctly (he says while rushing home to double check!) Will have a play around with the set up and see if that produces any results but thought it maybe time for a new cartridge. Was just curious if anyone else has had any similar issues and been able to rectify it.

Cheers again.

Gaz1979

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
On the subject of new cartridges, anyone have any experience with the Clearaudio products? Their Performer V2 MM looks like a good cartridge at a good price.

Lost Angeles said:
Did everything sound OK when you first upgraded? Have you still got the Brio, if yes reconnect it and see what you get then.Has he got a duff phono in the Roksan?

This was always in the back of my mind but knowing the quality of Roksan kit I thought it too slim to mention, however having said that, it is still a possiblility. I guess the OP needs to beg, borrow or steal another amp to try and confirm this either way, and this may well be worth establishing before purchasing a new cartridge.

matthewpiano

Well worth following the advice to try and test the system with a different amp just to make sure it isn't a fault on the Roksan before you start throwing any more money at things.

Having said that, I've got an RP3 with Elys 2 and white belt sat in a cupboard because the 40 year old turntable and budget cartridge I'm currently using are so much more entertaining and involving...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts