Ultra HD Blu-ray: everything you need to know

Patagonie

Mar 30, 2020
Visit site
The most important for any customer is to wait two or three years before stepping in the ultra hd (the more marketing word is 4K).
March 2020 there are no more than 80 movies available in REAL ultra HD, the 400 others are done from 2K movie and artificially upgraded (in Europe).
Have you noticed how much you are fooled with the 4K or ultra HD ? So many devices you have to change to get the saint graal ? You should change your videoprojector (5000€ for a real 4K), yous player, your HC amplifier (probably), your cables (probably), your TV. Have you noticied all those graphic chips in many electronical devices to boost your hardware and get this so lovely 4K/ultra HD label or something close.
All of this to watch 80 movies (in Europe) that are the most expensive of the market. (between 20 and 35€).
What a jok
However, as it is said, focus on players rather than streamings. No streaming could beat a player.

There are many benefits to avoid the ultra hd.
You will save a lot of money. Because it will stay on your account. And you will get Oled, Ultra HD player and others in two years for a bargain. And today a very good Full HD still beats an untrue 4K videoprojector, most of the time.

bearuk

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Two years ago, just as the pandemic was taking hold, someone said to wait two or three years.

But why?

If you have a 4k tv, why deny yourself the best quality picture and sound? Did the person telling you to wait think 4k blu ray would fail? It's hardly set the world alight, and it's true many movies aren't 'real' 4k, but that means you should use your brain and not assume just because it is a UHD disc that it's worth upgrading. Of course, if you don't have the movie, it's very likely worth buying the 4k disc, although there are some movies that I think look better on blu ray, because now they can digitally tint or add HDR/Dolby Vision tweaks I sometimes think the blu ray looks more natural. Of course there is Dolby Atmos sound too...

I only moved to 4k in 2021. I'd been waiting for 3D to make a comeback, and when it didn't, I bought a used 3D OLED on ebay. I haven't abandoned 3D!!

The 4k player was next, and I already had some 4k movies, from steelbooks I'd bought. I'm selling off some of my 4K discs, but I'm keeping many, regardless of whether they are real or fake 4k. A 2K upscale in theory should still look better than a 1080p upscale.

Unfortunately 4k discs AREN'T region free.

When it comes to regional restrictions, the good news is 4K Blu-ray discs have just one region code: worldwide. Essentially, they’re region-free. They can be played on any 4K player, in any part of the world.

So why are Death Wish (2018) and Greenland (Nordic release) and Outpost (USA) region locked? Admittedly only 4 discs are known to be region locked at the moment, but the possibility is there.

D

Deleted member 197450

Two years ago, just as the pandemic was taking hold, someone said to wait two or three years.

But why?

If you have a 4k tv, why deny yourself the best quality picture and sound? Did the person telling you to wait think 4k blu ray would fail? It's hardly set the world alight, and it's true many movies aren't 'real' 4k, but that means you should use your brain and not assume just because it is a UHD disc that it's worth upgrading. Of course, if you don't have the movie, it's very likely worth buying the 4k disc, although there are some movies that I think look better on blu ray, because now they can digitally tint or add HDR/Dolby Vision tweaks I sometimes think the blu ray looks more natural. Of course there is Dolby Atmos sound too...

I only moved to 4k in 2021. I'd been waiting for 3D to make a comeback, and when it didn't, I bought a used 3D OLED on ebay. I haven't abandoned 3D!!

The 4k player was next, and I already had some 4k movies, from steelbooks I'd bought. I'm selling off some of my 4K discs, but I'm keeping many, regardless of whether they are real or fake 4k. A 2K upscale in theory should still look better than a 1080p upscale.

Unfortunately 4k discs AREN'T region free.

When it comes to regional restrictions, the good news is 4K Blu-ray discs have just one region code: worldwide. Essentially, they’re region-free. They can be played on any 4K player, in any part of the world.

So why are Death Wish (2018) and Greenland (Nordic release) and Outpost (USA) region locked? Admittedly only 4 discs are known to be region locked at the moment, but the possibility is there.
You’ve contradicted yourself in your post with saying 4K discs aren’t region free and then you go onto say 4K discs are region free.

Just to confirm 4K Blu-ray Discs are region free whereas Blu-rays are not.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
A 2K upscale in theory should still look better than a 1080p upscale.
There are sites that specifically warn about films that were mastered in 2K being upscaled to 4K as though it's a bad thing. It's not, it's a good thing. Those early 2K films were mostly shot on Arri cameras and they capture a huge amount of data for every frame. Resolution is important but there's soooooo much more to it. In short, you want the upscale to happen as early as possible in the chain.

Technical stuff
A 2K master will probably be at ~1000-2000 Mbps depending on the camera/workflow
Blu ray is 48 Mbps

That means the upscale from the master will be vastly more accurate. Also, the master will be higher dynamic range. Unfortunately, there are other factors. A lot of early 4K discs were pretty rubbish because the conversion workflow and encoders/settings weren't well sorted.

Anyway... Tron Legacy was a 2K master. It's the film I'm most looking forward to on 4K UHD disc. The standard blu-ray version is incredible on a modern projector. The HDR version should be jaw-dropping. If it ever gets released.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts