Ultimate Guides for 2009 – have your say!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:All the people who travel by bus are interested in whether the buses run on time...

I find it more convenient than horse and cart, no matter how crowded it is.ÿ

A

Anonymous

If there is a bandwagon though, and it is only going to get bigger, should there not be a publication sooner rather than later?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:
If there is a bandwagon though, and it is only going to get bigger, should there not be a publication sooner rather than later?

Good to see our tentacled friend bringing a note of seriousness to proceedings.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
could there be a guide to hifi/AV for the credit crunch times?

eg best of the bargains....tips on second hand .... tips on DIY solutions?

maybe it can be a new section in the main mag if not enough steam for a UG...maybe even a 'reader tip of the month' bit?

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:Let's have a guide completely dedicated to computer based audio. DAC, FLAC and all things WAP.

Although I'm not into computer based audio, I'm seconding this one, however, could it include computer audio visual as well. My laptop is 16.10 screen with Blu-Ray and Dolby Home Theatre 5.1- maybe that much talked of convergence will get here at some point.

So speaks the luddite who swears blind his Linns will only leave him when he dies.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
timwileman:could there be a guide to hifi/AV for the credit crunch times?

eg best of the bargains....tips on second hand .... tips on DIY solutions?

maybe it can be a new section in the main mag if not enough steam for a UG...maybe even a 'reader tip of the month' bit?

We're working on something along those lines for WHF and UG inclusion....

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Vintage amplifiers & receivers/tuners from the 70s/80s please!. I know the readership would be small (me and a few others on here) but surely no-one can resist looking at pics of the glowing blues, yellows, greens etc of old tuner dials.

T

the record spot

Or spend £5000 and buy something from the McIntosh line! Well, they don't do yellow, but you get the idea.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

HI RUSS74 I CURRENTLY OWN THE LATEST GENERATION OF AUDIO LAB EQUIPMENT BUT AS A PREVIOUS OWNER OF CLASSIC 70S HI-FI IE PIONEER SX 1050 (RECEIEVR) JVC JAS-71 (AMP) PIONNER TX 7500 (TUNER) ALL SORTS OF TECHNICS TURNTABLES TAPE DECKS THORENS TURNTABLES SONY TAPE DECKS I HAVE TO SAY YOU CANNOT BEAT IT FOR BUILT QUALITY LOOKS AND FACILITIES. NOW I'M NOT SAYING THAT IT SOUNDS AS GOOD AS TODAYS STUFF AS I THINK A DIRECT COMPARISON WOULD HAVE TO BE DONE BUT I THINK IT WOULD GIVE IT A VERY GOOD RUN FOR IT'S MONEY. MY LOCAL HI-FI SHOP AUDIO IMAGES IN LOWESTOFT RECKINS THE OLDER STUFF IS BETTER SO WHAT MORE CAN I SAY. IF FUNDS ALLOW I WOULD HAPPILY BE ON EBAY BUILING UP MY COLLECTION OF 70S HI-FI . PLUS THINK HOW CHEAP THESE ITEMS NOW ARE , SOME GORGEOUS OLD BUILT LIKE A TANK IN GREAT CONDITION ANOALOGUE TUNERS FOR AS LITTLE AS TEN QUID GOTTA BE WORTH CONSIDERING

A

Anonymous

HI BEAT THE CREDIT CRUNCH BY GOING DOWN THE 70S HI-FI ROUTE. DAM DOES IT LOOK COOL BUILT LIKE A TANK AND VERY GOOD SOUND QUALITY - MAYBE JUST BUY A MORE RECENT OR NEW DECENT CD PLAYER AND GET A GOOD QUALITY PIONNER RECEIEVER SX 1080 FOR INSTANCE OR SEPARATE AMP AND TUNER . THERE ARE GORGEOUS TUNERS ON EBAY FOR TEN AND FIFTEEN QUID ANALOGUE OR PRE SET DESIGNS YOU COULD PROBABLY BUILD A COMPLETE SYSTEM FOR WELL UNDER TWO HUNDRED QUID

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Would second Or third (Sorry Lost Count) the one room system. AV v Dedicated as it were, I am one of many who has one system that has to do all, I have biased it as much as I can toward Music Replay as that is my priority (I also enjoy AV) would be interested to see if there is any thing I can do to improve.

On the lines of vintage/Second Hand How about a comparison of 5-10 year old kit that is or was class leading against its modern counterpart. I would love to see how my CD6000Ki Sig Stacks up against a current £500 Marantz Player SA7003 or similar. On the same lines how about 1 or 2 year old Kit that is no available on Sale Verses similar priced new Kit, could do a whole set up

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts