UE40C8000, STR DA2400ES and a PS3!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently upgraded to Samsung 3D UE40C8000 and was eager to try out my copy of Monster Vs Aliens on my PS3. It just played like a normal bluray. After having a search around on the net, i realised the problem. My PS3 is connected to my Sony amp and that outputs to the tv. It was only after i connected my PS3 directly to the tv did the 3D content come alive but i lost one thing. When the PS3 is connected to the amp, it outputs sound in true dolby surround sound and the blue light lights up to let me know. Now that the PS3 is connected to the tv, i don't know the best way to get full surround sound again. Would an optical cable from the PS3 to amp do the job? The tv has something about an ARC through the HDMI2 socket but i don't know what that means. Any suggestions or would i be best off getting a new amp...

A

Anonymous

Using an optical from the ps3 to 2400es for the sound will allow u to get dolby 5.1 and dts 5.1.

arc between a compatible amp and tv means u dont need an extra optical out from the tv back to the amp when watching the onboard tuner. the 2400es doesnt support arc so dont worry about it - just use an optical out from tv to the amp.

Optical doesnt support dobly truehd or dts_hd_ma - but the ps3 cant do lossless and 3d at the same time at the moment anyway - even via hdmi. (though this may be fixed in a future firmware.)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. That clears things up nicely. My tv is already connected to the amp via optical and it outputs sound when i watch tv but if i use the ps3, theres no sound unless i switch the amp off and then the tv outputs sound. Another thing, there is currently nothing conneceted via HDMI to my amp now but i still have the HDMI output of the amp connected to the tv and it recognises when the amp is on, automatically switches sound to the amp and then the amp provides the sound. Its pretty useful as my tv remote can adjust the amp volume at the same time without even having to set anything up!

Back to topic, so should i use the optical of the ps3 to connect to my amp? Will any optical do or does a pricier cable do a better job?

A

Anonymous

thats the anynet feature on ur tv that lets u control any cec-hdmi device.

U basically have the choice of 3d and dts/dolby5.1 sound (using hdmi to tv + optical to ps3) or 2d and dts-hd-ma/dolby-truehd using hdmi to amp.

I'm not sure about expensive optical cables being worth it unless u've got expensive components.

Have a look at this deal from superfi - a 1.5m qed one toslink for 9.95 or 3m for 12.95

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/6251

I cant confirm my ps3 settings at the moment, cos im away at work..but I think u need to set the optical settings to be bitstream in blu-ray video settings to get 5.1 sound (lpcm just gives u 2.0 i think).

Have a read of this link for info on the ps3

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. Your help is much appreciated. Guess i'll go get me an optical cable and settle for standard 5.1.

Oh and my components are anything but expensive lol. Only got the Jamo A102HCS's but they're good enough. Thanks again.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS