Txp55VT65b vs Rx-a1030 vs PS3 Upscaling

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Out of the equipment above, what are people's opinions as to which would produce the best results for DVD/DVD quality streaming for upscaling?

Initial results by my MK1 eyeballs suggest that's the Ps3 is producing the most "acceptable" image with the least amount of artifacts present. However I only have a couple of DVD's in my film collections so it's hardly a reliable measure.

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
When I was doing my homework for purchasing an AVR I noticed that a pot of them have video processing chips capable of upscaling to 1080p. The Yamaha's courtesy of a HQV Vida chip if memory serves me correctly. So I thought I'd do a comparison between that, the plasmas built in scaler and the one in the ps3 (which I've owned for years and used for upscaling in several systems).

As expected I found the Yamaha to be the odd one out, offering the poorest upscaling experience. As you've said yourself Bigboss the amps primary function is audio and any video processing is just secondary.

War of the Worlds (1953) latest edition perhaps wasn't the best source to begin with but the Yamaha showed jagged edges, pixelation, and in a general a lot noisier picture than the Panasonic or PS3.

Prince of Darkness (1987) streamed at dvd quality looked 720p using the tvs built in scaler, this was from a laptop via hdmi so hopefully the laptop wasn't trying to process it to begin with.

It's neck and neck between the telly and the games console for me with the ps3 perhaps being more comfortable with a wider range of material.

TRENDING THREADS