Two pairs of speakers, to switch between, depending on music style?

supersonicscotty

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody else have a hifi system with two sets of speakers, side by side, to switch between them dependent on the type of music you are playing? I have read that BX2s are good for classical/acoustic and thought perhaps having a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds next to them might be better for rock and electronic music.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure you'd get such a difference with those entry level speakers as to make it worthwhile. Also, you may have positioning issues, unless you are planning to swap them over on the stands rather than just switching between A and B speaker outputs on your amp.

Personally I'd spend the money on one set of better speakers, rather than going for 2 sets of cheaper speakers. I found the BX2 quite good for electronic and rock, although I prefer the BX5 and RX2.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I use Accuphase amps for my main listening which have speaker A and B terminals, together with buttons on the front panel that enable easy switching between the two.

My 2 speakers are presently ProAc K6s and Spendor SA-1s, the latter to be soon replaced by Harbeth Monitor 30.1s. The K6s are large floor standers that are powerful with plenty of bass. However, sometimes for late night listening I prefer something a bit smoother and mellow, hence the use of speaker B for a different sound/presentation.

matthewpiano

Nice idea in some ways but, for me at least, having two pairs of speakers set up drifts over the line of what is domestically acceptable. I think there has to come a point where the hi-fi doesn't completely dominate the living space and in my very average sized living room two pairs of speakers would just be too much.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have my Mission 780's and BX2's currently sharing a heavy slate slab on the same speaker stands. Although the sources & amps are different, there is definately more bass from the BX2's which I suppose is because they are in bigger boxes. When I get some spare time I will connect the BX2's to my Rega Brio amp to compare against the 780's (which I have had a long time so I know their characteristics very well). The 780's do not seem to have suffered in SQ terms sharing a stand with the BX2's, with the BX2's on the outside (1 cm apart).

But - the reason I have both speakers on the same stands is that I was planning to purchase floorstanders, but got side-tracked into buying home cinema kit and did not want to buy another pair of stands that would eventually be surplus. My Atacama stands are full of sand and very heavy with the slate slab & two speakers on them - my kids are in university so I do not have to worry about small children knocking them over and my room is solely for HiFi & HC uses.

To the OP's question, I would rather purchase a better set of speakers (after demo) rather than two pairs, unless I had enough money to maybe buy a floorstander and bookeshelf, where the SQ characteristics are going to be more pronounced.

Jonathan

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Two pairs would not be the route I'd take - I don't need a wife or girlfriend to object - I'd do that without any help! It just seems too complicated to mess with two sets in the same room. I'd mirror what some, if not all others have said: get one decent pair of speakers. A good rule is to keep things simple as possible - one set of speakers, cables etc with no switching.

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Yes, I use Accuphase amps for my main listening which have speaker A and B terminals, together with buttons on the front panel that enable easy switching between the two. My 2 speakers are presently ProAc K6s and Spendor SA-1s, the latter to be soon replaced by Harbeth Monitor 30.1s. The K6s are large floor standers that are powerful with plenty of bass. However, sometimes for late night listening I prefer something a bit smoother and mellow, hence the use of speaker B for a different sound/presentation.

Singslinger, why switch from Spendor to Harbeth?

Rob.S.Esquire

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I would spend the money on a better pair of floorstanders with a tonally neutral sound, and then get two (or more) sources to switch between. You are going to get the best positioning and therefore soundstage with a single pair of speakers rather than trying to get 2 pairs sounding their best.

I switch between 3 different DACs (all from the same FLAC file PC source) and each one has its merits based on the genre of music. I even switch depending on the album, my mood, or time of day. Sometimes I even just switch rooms to my second set of speakers. Having choices is always a good thing.

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
Matthewpiano, would you care to bring your other half round to my place, as after that, I'm sure you'd be able to squeeze a few more boxes and speakers in :)

I just did a quick stock take downstairs and I think I've got a very tolerant other half. That and most of the kit is too heavy for her to lift.

To the left of the fireplace, a Target 5- shelf rack with, from the top, Sony AV amp, Sky HD, Humax Youview, XBOX, Sony Bluray, Echostar Freesat Slingbox, Sony DVD recorder and an HD-DVD player.

To the right of the fireplace, a Target 5- shelf rack with, from the top, Rotel Michi pre-power amp, HK tuner, Rotel cassette player, Marantz CD player, Pioneer CD player.

And in the fireplace, a nice big telly, network drive, Roku box, PS2, ethernet hub and broadband router.

As the AV and hifi systems are seperate but co located, there are 2 sets of Kef floorstanders flanking the telly, centre beneath it and a sub off to the side. And of course the surround rears somewhere off near the dining table,

And it's not a big room.

It might be if I took all the kit out, mind :help:

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
krolikgena said:
Singslinger said:
Yes, I use Accuphase amps for my main listening which have speaker A and B terminals, together with buttons on the front panel that enable easy switching between the two. My 2 speakers are presently ProAc K6s and Spendor SA-1s, the latter to be soon replaced by Harbeth Monitor 30.1s. The K6s are large floor standers that are powerful with plenty of bass. However, sometimes for late night listening I prefer something a bit smoother and mellow, hence the use of speaker B for a different sound/presentation.

Hi Krolikgena, I've had the Spendors for about 3 years now and I think maybe it's time to try something different.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Singslinger said:
krolikgena said:
Singslinger said:

Hi Singslinger,

Don't forget to report back when the 30's have settled in.

Mac

Hi Krolikgena, I've had the Spendors for about 3 years now and I think maybe it's time to try something different.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Singslinger said:
krolikgena said:
Singslinger said:

Hi Singslinger,

Don't forget to report back when the 30's have settled in.

Mac

Hi Mac, will do. Delivery is still month or so away though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts