Tweeter Life Span

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. Just wondering how many hours (approximately) will a tweeter function before it breaks down? In my experience, the tweeter is the most vulnerable component in a speaker system. Does the life span of tweeters depend on who (speaker manufacturer) made it? Have you experienced your tweeter to breakdown? Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Never experienced 'tweeter breakdown' in 30 years so far.

(A pet budgie feinted after a loud explosion during a film on TV when I was a kid but it recovered after a few minutes.)

A

Anonymous

chebby:Never experienced 'tweeter breakdown' in 30 years so far. (A pet budgie feinted after a loud explosion during a film on TV when I was a kid but it recovered after a few minutes.)You are very lucky chebby.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that 99% of tweeter failures are caused by abuse.

Usually an underpowered amp being pushed to it's limits and running into 'clipping' which causes premature tweeter failure.

The other being an amp which is too powerful for the speakers concerned, being driven to excess volume (but without clipping) producing more power than the speaker system can handle.

At least, that's the conclusion me and my colleagues arrived at after 20 years in the audio service / repair industry.

Tony.

A

Anonymous

Tony_R:

Usually an underpowered amp being pushed to it's limits and running into 'clipping' which causes premature tweeter failure.

The other being an amp which is too powerful for the speakers concerned, being driven to excess volume (but without clipping) producing more power than the speaker system can handle.

At least, that's the conclusion me and my colleagues arrived at after 20 years in the audio service / repair industry.

Tony.

However, I've broken some woofers on a pair of Missions when they were only a couple of months old and I wasn't playing music that loud and I was using a 100watt/channel amplifier which is well within the recommended limits.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:However, I've broken some woofers on a pair of Missions when they were only a couple of months old and I wasn't playing music that loud and I was using a 100watt/channel amplifier which is well within the recommended limits.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were given a difficult time getting those replaced under warranty though.

It's pretty rare for drive units to simply just blow, unless a manufacturing defect is present.

Tony.

A

Anonymous

Tony_R:

Tony.

Perhaps putting the treble adjustment to maximum as well as playing the music too loud can shorten the life of a tweeter. Or perhaps playing the music too long (6 hours non-stop) can damage the tweeter. At any rate, can the tweeter be repaired or is it better to buy a replacement? Thanks Tony

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Putting the treble to maximum is another possibility - but again the music would have to be played extermely loud.

As for replacements:

If a replacement is unobtainable, a repair can usually be carried out - however this is usually more costly than replacement.

And there are usually plenty of suitable replacements (if not the exact model) available - it just depends on the quality of the speaker as well. But if you use a non standard replacement - it's usually advisable to replace both tweeters - thereby keeping the speakers matched.

Ebay will turn up a view possibilities if you know what (physical) size and wattage you're looking for.

- Tony.

T

the record spot

liujol:Hi. Just wondering how many hours (approximately) will a tweeter function before it breaks down? In my experience, the tweeter is the most vulnerable component in a speaker system. Does the life span of tweeters depend on who (speaker manufacturer) made it? Have you experienced your tweeter to breakdown? Thanks.

Never happened to me at all - some speakers I've had I've used day in day out for years and nary a problem. As Tony_R mentioned, it's usually down to putting the tweeter under pressure that'll get it to blow.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:liujol:Hi. Just wondering how many hours (approximately) will a tweeter function before it breaks down? In my experience, the tweeter is the most vulnerable component in a speaker system. Does the life span of tweeters depend on who (speaker manufacturer) made it? Have you experienced your tweeter to breakdown? Thanks. Never happened to me at all - some speakers I've had I've used day in day out for years and nary a problem. As Tony_R mentioned, it's usually down to putting the tweeter under pressure that'll get it to blow.OK. I must admit that I abused my tweeter a lot. Setting the treble at a maximum and playing the music too loud most of the time is probably the main cause of my tweeter's early demise.

Sliced Bread

Tony_R:
Hughes123:However, I've broken some woofers on a pair of Missions when they were only a couple of months old and I wasn't playing music that loud and I was using a 100watt/channel amplifier which is well within the recommended limits.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were given a difficult time getting those replaced under warranty though.

It's pretty rare for drive units to simply just blow, unless a manufacturing defect is present.

Tony.

If it was the 78 series, they had some serious reliability issues when they were first released. The mid drivers on floor standers and bass unit on the bookshelf speakers (essentially the same thing) failed very easily, without abuse. All of these drivers in my 5.1 system (6 drivers) failed, but Mission were brilliant. They replaced all units with new drivers which did not have the problem, even 5 years after I bought them.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
liujol:the record spot:liujol:Hi. Just wondering how many hours (approximately) will a tweeter function before it breaks down? In my experience, the tweeter is the most vulnerable component in a speaker system. Does the life span of tweeters depend on who (speaker manufacturer) made it? Have you experienced your tweeter to breakdown? Thanks. Never happened to me at all - some speakers I've had I've used day in day out for years and nary a problem. As Tony_R mentioned, it's usually down to putting the tweeter under pressure that'll get it to blow.OK. I must admit that I abused my tweeter a lot. Setting the treble at a maximum and playing the music too loud most of the time is probably the main cause of my tweeter's early demise.

Wow! That must be shrill! Why have you got your treble set to max?

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:liujol:the record spot:liujol:Hi. Just wondering how many hours (approximately) will a tweeter function before it breaks down? In my experience, the tweeter is the most vulnerable component in a speaker system. Does the life span of tweeters depend on who (speaker manufacturer) made it? Have you experienced your tweeter to breakdown? Thanks. Never happened to me at all - some speakers I've had I've used day in day out for years and nary a problem. As Tony_R mentioned, it's usually down to putting the tweeter under pressure that'll get it to blow.OK. I must admit that I abused my tweeter a lot. Setting the treble at a maximum and playing the music too loud most of the time is probably the main cause of my tweeter's early demise. Wow! That must be shrill! Why have you got your treble set to max?Well I think it's just an over excitement and over experimenting on my part. Anyway, I've learned my lessons and promise I won't do it anymore. What's the ideal treble adjustment?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Mine is flat on both treble and bass, and more-over they're 'source direct'ed out, so they (and the balance) wouldn't do anything if I twiddled them anyway.

I'd try everything flat at first, if you feel you're lacking something use small adjustments to start.

I'm still surprised at just how 'toppy' your sound must have been.

bayc oldboy

Dec 27, 2008
Visit site
Abuse would be the answer i had this problem years ago with home made speakers, wacking up the volume + graphic eq over cooked tweeters to the point as i remember a friend commenting on how he liked the way i had lights in my speakers then i realized the crossovers were on fire (water&speakers don't mix)

A

Anonymous

JohnNewman:Tony_R:

Tony.

If it was the 78 series, they had some serious reliability issues when they were first released. The mid drivers on floor standers and bass unit on the bookshelf speakers (essentially the same thing) failed very easily, without abuse. All of these drivers in my 5.1 system (6 drivers) failed, but Mission were brilliant. They replaced all units with new drivers which did not have the problem, even 5 years after I bought them.

No, it was the E series - a pair of Mission E30s. They were repaired, but now my second pair are going exactly the same; they make a rattling sound when any excursion takes place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts