Tv with no bells and whistles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

ianj74 said:
Firstly I have a subscription to what hi-fi.

I have been looking now at some of the newer Bravio's in the 55" range about £1400

It looks like tvs are going the way of the mobile phone, does everything, when all you want is to make a phone call!

He says £1400 here, for some reason I thought it was £1500!
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
First of all, what's with the new avatar, professorhat??!! Trying to confuse us, huh? It nearly worked, too!

professorhat said:
The_Lhc was making a joke - there does seem to have been a couple of threads recently where people could have easily found the answer to their question by simply picking up a copy of the magazine, so it's a reference to that.

I didn't realise that The_Lhc had a sense of humour! I still wish that you or he would give me the titles of these other threads though.

professorhat said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Will you be gaming on the display? I think the general advice is that if you do a lot of gaming, to maybe avoid a plasma TV and go for an LCD instead.

Most plasma owners would disagree with that general advice.

I'm happy to stand corrected about which type of TV is best for gaming. I thought that the potential problem with using plasmas for gaming was the chance of image retention, because some logos are on the screen all the time? I myself don't game at all, despite having four plasma sets, so I must have misunderstood what others had been saying.

I would say game on the new Panasonic plasmas at your peril!
smiley-smile.gif
The older ones were fine, but I can't see you being able to do it. Image retention does appear on the new reviews.

D

Deleted member 2457

I can't even watch news channels on my TV without getting image retention.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
First of all, what's with the new avatar, professorhat??!! Trying to confuse us, huh? It nearly worked, too!

Well, got to have a change every now and then!

Son_of_SJ said:
professorhat said:
The_Lhc was making a joke - there does seem to have been a couple of threads recently where people could have easily found the answer to their question by simply picking up a copy of the magazine, so it's a reference to that.

I didn't realise that The_Lhc had a sense of humour! I still wish that you or he would give me the titles of these other threads though.

This is the one to do with movie reviews.

Son_of_SJ said:
Will you be gaming on the display? I think the general advice is that if you do a lot of gaming, to maybe avoid a plasma TV and go for an LCD instead.

professorhat said:

I'm happy to stand corrected about which type of TV is best for gaming. I thought that the potential problem with using plasmas for gaming was the chance of image retention, because some logos are on the screen all the time? I myself don't game at all, despite having four plasma sets, so I must have misunderstood what others had been saying.

Well, I've been gaming on plasma sets for nearly 10 years now, as have all my friends. Never had any issues. Yes, some people do get image retention and these are reported on forums. Just as some people get clouding issues when using LCD sets. What you don't get reports of on forums are the many, many people who use them and don't get any issues because there's no reason for these folk to come on and say "All's good!".

So you might as well advise people not to buy LCD sets in case they get clouding issues - it's essentially the same argument.

gel said:
smiley-smile.gif
The older ones were fine, but I can't see you being able to do it. Image retention does appear on the new reviews.

As noted, yes, we've heard of a few people on the forum getting image retention on the new Panasonic sets. but given the popularity of these sets and of games consoles, how many people are out there, happily gaming on their Panasonic plasmas with no issues? Quite substantially more than the few that get issues I'm willing to bet.

The best advice of course is to buy a from a trusted retailer, known for their customer service (no matter what you're buying). So if you get any issues, you know you'll be well looked after.

D

Deleted member 2457

professorhat said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Son_of_SJ said:
professorhat said:

Son_of_SJ said:

professorhat said:

Well, I've been gaming on plasma sets for nearly 10 years now, as have all my friends. Never had any issues. Yes, some people do get image retention and these are reported on forums. Just as some people get clouding issues when using LCD sets. What you don't get reports of on forums are the many, many people who use them and don't get any issues because there's no reason for these folk to come on and say "All's good!".

So you might as well advise people not to buy LCD sets in case they get clouding issues - it's essentially the same argument.

gel said:
smiley-smile.gif

As noted, yes, we've heard of a few people on the forum getting image retention on the new Panasonic sets. but given the popularity of these sets and of games consoles, how many people are out there, happily gaming on their Panasonic plasmas with no issues? Quite substantially more than the few that get issues I'm willing to bet.

The best advice of course is to buy a from a trusted retailer, known for their customer service (no matter what you're buying). So if you get any issues, you know you'll be well looked after.

Agreed.
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

professorhat said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Son_of_SJ said:
professorhat said:

Son_of_SJ said:

professorhat said:

gel said:
smiley-smile.gif

Agreed.
smiley-smile.gif

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Wow, on post 11 on this page professorhat contributes quoting selectively and cleverly from two previous postings and responding to the points after each quotation. Gel then quotes professorhat's entire posting to add but a single word and a smiley. Then post 13 is an entire repeat of post 12! A lot of scrolling to get to your input, gel! Ah, the joys and, importantly, the immediacy, of selective quotations ......

By the way, I entirely endorse professorhat's and gel's point about the wisdom of buying from a trusted retailer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts