TV that outputs Dolby Digital audio over an optical cable?

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
As you can see from my signature I've just put together a Sonos 5.0 home cinema set up (Sonos Playbar + 2x Play 1) but I haven't had time to properly test it out. When buying it I saw that I'd need a TV that outputs Dolby Digital audio over an optical cable to get the very best out of the Sonos 5.0 set up (please no Sonos bashing as I'm not asking for people to tell me how rubbish and expensive it is compsred to a traditional set up).

So what I am looking for help with please is if anyone can tell me if my Sony KDL-40EX723 TV does output Dolby Digital audio over an optical cable? If not then I'd really appreciate some recommendations on a replacement 40" TV that does do this please?

Thank you for your help.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/iManuals/eng/EX72x/st_digaudioout.html

If this is your TV (how old is it?) then it would seem to suggest it does:
Digital Audio Out
Outputs audio signals from DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL).
AutoSets the sound output to equipment compatible with Dolby Digital.PCMSets the sound output to equipment not compatible with Dolby Digital.

But the quickest way to find out is connect it all up and see what happens of course.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I think the main concern here is whether or not the tv will pass through 5.1 from external sources, not many do. They usually pass it through as 2.0. Far as I know though, the playbar system has a form of pro logic circuitry in it, so at least that's something.

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Tarxman (and everyone else who has replied) I think you're spot on that what I actually need to know is does my tv pass through dolby digital from a hdmi connected source (like my freesat and Blu-ray etc) via my tv and onto the Sonos Playbar? If my tv only passes out stereo for any external devices then it is a real downer. Looking at the online sony manual it definitely says the optical can output dolby digital but it does say if this is only for the built in signals (smart tv stuff and freeview which I can't use as reception is very poor hence freesat box) or if it allows pass through of external devices (connected by hdmi) too. Hmmm?

jeff1967

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, as i said my sony 40EX503 outputs 5.1 dolby digital via digital optical cable from hdmi connected equipment. I have looked at my tv manual and yours and both say the same thing

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) - Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM, Dolby Digital)

regards.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Yes, Sonos themselves have said that only Sony tvs have supported this feature, though I don't believe the newer models do anymore.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
You could alway run a direct connection from the source you use the most i.e. Sky, bluray etc, or even lookout for an optical switcher in order to direct connect multiple devices.

TRENDING THREADS