TV Sound Improvement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought a Panasonic Viera 32 inch HD-ready television, and the sound quality on it is poor. I have difficulty hearing the dialogue on anything it is playing. A Cnet review of the television indicated that the sound quality was a negative factor, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I am not interested in having a high-end surround sound system - I just want to be able to watch the television and hear the dialogue clearly. However, if I were to simply buy a pair of decent bookshelf speakers and hook them up to the television, would this likely resolve the problem for me? In other words, is the problem with the sound likely to be with the television's built-in speakers (in which case I would think that attaching separate speakers would solve the problem) or is it likely to be with the sound amplification function in the television (in which case I would guess that attaching separate speakers may not resolve the problem). Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, upgrading the speakers will definitely improve things massively. However, note you will also need some amplification - you can't simply hook the speakers to the TV. You can do this either by purchasing standard speakers and a stereo integrated amplifier or you can go down the route of active speakers (which basically include the amplifier in one of the speaker boxes). Either way, your choices are really determined on how much you have to spend.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your reply. Do you (or does anyone) have any suggestions for inexpensive (i.e. under £100) active speakers that are small and simple and will noticeably improve the sound quality on the TV?

A

Anonymous

You might consider one of the higher end sets of active speakers made for desktop PC's both Creative and Logitech have some nice examples. They are self powered and contain a small amp (usually in the sub woofer).

I have 2 x 32 inch Panasonic TV's and both have good sound (compared to others in this class) It might be worth checking the settings in the sound menu on the TV and turning any enhanced effects off, depending on which 32 inch model you have. I seem to recall on initial set-up the newer TV needed to know if it was wall or stand mounted and if it was in a corner or not and how close to the back wall it was - and getting the wrong setting will not help the sound at all.

If the TV is near a current stereo system then a twin phono lead to hook it up and see if the sound improves if played via the stereo might be a good investment. They can be had for as little as £10.

A

Anonymous

£100 is a bit LOW .............. but a very GOOD compromise is a Soundbar from the likes of Yamaha

These have both a built in Amp & Speakers all in one tidy package and at the moment you can get a very good deal on a Yamaha HTY760 DIGITAL SOUND PROJECTOR (same as a YSP600 which got a 5 star rating ....... the HTY760 just has a silver bezel) _______________ Check out the following link

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3756

Regards
emotion-1.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Wow! Honestly, if you can find the extra £90 or so, that looks like a great offer and is a perfect complement to your TV for sound. I didn't mention soundbars at first and then when I saw your budget, didn't think it was worth mentioning them at all since they are generally not available for less than £300.

A

Anonymous

have a look at a boston acustics model two sound bar, its not too big and has a wireless sub, the only hitch is it dont have a remote but you can program it to you tv remote. it sound very good.

TRENDING THREADS