TV for hard of hearing

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a hearing problem (I'm 70). I'm OK watching the news, etc, but with programmes like 'The Wire', which have a lot of layered and overlapping dialogue, heavily accented, I struggle.

The solution for me is to use a simple pair of cordless earphones (Philips make a pair for about £40), which plug into the headphone spcket. This solves my problem, but creates another one: my wife hates to use them!

Ihave two sets at home, a Phillips 37'' Ambilight, and a Samsung 32'', both quite a few years old. If I plug the Philips transmitter into the Philips, I can use the headphones, and my wife can listen to the sound normally - but on the Samsung, plugging in the transmitter (or any headphone jack) cuts off the sound completely. I need a set with the former setup.

I am in the market for an upgrade- how can I tell from the specs which way the headphone socket operates? Do particular manufacturers use one system or the other consistently?

Terry Pattison

Hi Terry

Good question. I can see the that wearing headphones can be slightly anti-social - my OH certainly thinks so, hence why they are only used sparingly.

Do you have a stereo system of any sort? like a mini system or separates? that would be the easiest solution just to connect the TVs to the stereo.

I don't fully understand the problem of switching from one set to another.

Hope my limited input has given you a pointer?

Good luck, pp

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help. I have a pretty good stereo setup (Arcam plus B&W - pity my ears are failing the technology!) but in another room.

What I am trying to figure out is whether manufacturers make a 'policy' decision across their whole range as to whether the headphone socket cuts out the speaker sound, as on my Samsung, or not, as on my Philips. I was thinking of buyingthe Sony KDL-40EX503, purchased by mail order through an ad in WhichHiFi, but how do I know from the specs which way the headphone socket works?

Thanks again for the help,

regards,

Terry

matthewpiano

On the Sony EX503 this function is switchable.

If you go to the HOME menu, across to SETTINGS and down to AUDIO. Then select HEADPHONE SETTINGS and you get the option to switch the SPEAKER LINK ON or OFF. With it ON plugging headphones in will cut out the speakers, but switch it to off and plugging the headphones in won't affect the output from the speakers at all.

(I've just double checked this on my EX403 to make sure my memory wasn't failing me - it is nearly 6 months since I worked for Sony!)

A

Anonymous

Thanks a million, Matthew - that solves my problem! Does the same system apply to other manufacturers?

Terry

TRENDING THREADS