TV/Digital/Amp setup query

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm planning on getting a surround sound amp but I don't know how I'll wire up the kit. I'm planning on the Onkyo 609 and I have full HD tv and a HD digi box.
The problem lies with the fact that I'll probably just watch the tv and digital most of the time and not want to have the amp on. So, would I need to connect the digital box or tv to the amp with Phono leads?
If I used HDMI cable from the digi box to the amp to the tv, I'd always have to have the amp on, right?

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
My TV has a setting whereby you could select the output of the sound I.e TV speaker or external speaker. Selecting External speaks passes the sound to the Amp on mine.

It seems a bit pointless you investing in an Amp if you're not going to route the sound through it. The Amp will produce far better sound than any TV can. Correct set up would be to pass all sound and video though the Amp. Mine is all through HDMI other my Sky box where you also need to plug in optical cable to benefit from Dolby Surround. Depending how new your TV is then it might have audio return and pass sound back to the Amp via HDMI if just watching TV.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Simon, thanks for that.
I just feel that sometimes I'll want the option of not having the amp on, when were watching trash, kids program's and when my wife is watching tv.
It sounds like I could do the same as you and connect the digital to the amp with an optical cable, and this is 5.1, right. I'm not sure if you can get 5.1 through digital tv? But it's capable of 3D, also, and I'm sure you can't get 3D digital tv!?!?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts