Tv connections

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Trying to plan where to place my tv / av equipment and thus what cabling I'll need.

Plan A is to place it all below the wall mounted tv on an av stand so short cables in the wall no real problems / expense worries (though still need to know what I need).

Plan B (preferred) is to place stand at side of sofa quite so way some from screen (approx 10ft as crow flies and more as the cabling goes - might be talking 5-7m HDMI !)

Problem is I don't know what cabling I'm going to need to run to the screen.

(I'm hopefully picking up a 428XD Pioneer as I've seen a good deal in the sale that now makes it worth while value wise) I'm planning on an Onkyo SR605 amp, Freesat in March (analogue as well / until) (external Freeview box for Freesat obviously), DVD / Blu Ray, PVR if not integrated with Freesat.

Can I just plug everything into the Onkyo then run a single HDMi cable from Onkyo to screen (will this work with the Onkyo switched off ie just pass through?) or do I need seperate cables ie. HDMI from Onkyo to screen, HDMI to Onkyo from DVD, Analogue TV aerial cable from Onkyo to screen or direct from aerial?, Scart to screen from Freesat etc.

Also how would a Denon 1940 DVD Player connect to the Onkyo when the Onkyo's HDMI 1.3a and the Denon's HDMI 1.1 . Will they work together over HDMI? Does the fact that it will use 1.3a to talk to the screen cause a problem with the DVD talking to the receiver in 1.1?

Help as cables are expensive and a mistake in under allowing for cables might blow my budget!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Alsone"]
Trying to plan where to place my tv / av equipment and thus what cabling I'll need.

Plan A is to place it all below the wall mounted tv on an av stand so short cables in the wall no real problems / expense worries (though still need to know what I need).

Plan B (preferred) is to place stand at side of sofa quite so way some from screen (approx 10ft as crow flies and more as the cabling goes - might be talking 5-7m HDMI !)

[/quote]

I'd go with Plan A. I'm very much in favour of keeping HDMI links as short as possible to avoid 'sparkly' interference, and I've found HDMI connections more than a little flaky over long runs, unless one uses rather expensive cables designed for long lengths.

[quote user="Alsone"]

Can I just plug everything into the Onkyo then run a single HDMi
cable from Onkyo to screen (will this work with the Onkyo switched off
ie just pass through?) or do I need seperate cables ie. HDMI from Onkyo
to screen, HDMI to Onkyo from DVD, Analogue TV aerial cable from Onkyo
to screen or direct from aerial?, Scart to screen from Freesat etc.

[/quote]

Depending on the connections available on the Freesat box, yes you can, as the Onkyo has built-in video upscaling.

You don't need an aerial cable from Onkyo to TV - just plug the TV aerial into the TV as usual.

I suspect the Freesat box will have a Scart output, plus analogue and/or digital audio out. If so, connect the Scart direct to the TV, and the audio output to the Onkyo. If we're lucky enough to get a Freesat box with component video output, then you can connect this through the Onkyo to the TV.

The sound from the TV tuners in the Pioneer can be connected to the Onkyo via analogue or optica audio connections. I just did this with this TV for some friends last weekend, and the sound is extremely good with live TV.

No, you won't be able to watch sources connected through the Onkyo on the TV when the receiver is off, but this should only affect the DVD player - if you have a Scart link from Freesat box to TV, that will carry sound and picture directly to the TV.
[quote user="Alsone"]

Also how would a Denon 1940 DVD Player connect to the Onkyo when
the Onkyo's HDMI 1.3a and the Denon's HDMI 1.1 . Will they work
together over HDMI? Does the fact that it will use 1.3a to talk to the
screen cause a problem with the DVD talking to the receiver in 1.1?

[/quote]

It'll work fine.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andrew and Merry Christmas.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts