TV Calibration

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can somebody from the forum advise me on the selection of a semi/pro or pro calibration software for Tele and Home Cinema

System ??

The choices are :-

(a) THX Optimizer 2.0 (DVD+Glasses)

(b) Digital Video Essentials (2003)

I dont wanna spend a fortune on this anyways.

Thanks to all for the help,

A

Anonymous

No, not yet - need the glasses anyways to use it properly.....

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm still searching my DVDs to see if any of them have the THX Optimiser!

I've tried the Video Essentials DVD one - I found it difficult to tell if I was making the right settings on some of the tests. I used the Video Essentials laserdisc (US) version a few years ago and it was a lot simpler!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
As Clare says, the THX is the simplest. Except you cant set colour under normal conditions as you know.

If you MUST buy one, the MONSTER CABLE setup dvd has a colour setting included

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi

If your set has the facility then I believe a professional ISF calibration carried out in your home will be the most accurate option as it takes different factors into account. Not just the panel you have but the environment you're using it in and the equipment connected to it. The calibration fee includes the correct set-up of one or two sources, depending who does it, in addition to extensive adjustment of your panel/projector. Costs vary from around £150 to £300. Qualified ISF engineers usually travel within reason.

Alternatively perhaps you could try this;

http://www.datacolor.eu/en/products/home-theater-calibration/spyder3tv/index.html?gclid=COCsiuHJm5cCFYwh3godoUypDA

hope this helps

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I know it sounds a little basic but why not just adjust the picture until you're happy with what you're seeing? I have a new Panny plasma and have tried using the settings which have been recommended to me on this forum and others but it looks very washed out and lifeless so I've resorted to using the settings which look good to me.

I certainly wouldn't pay some guy £150-£300 to come and tell me what the best picture settings are!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Can't argue with that although most people that have used ISF calibration seem to swear by it and usually comment on huge differences.

The equipment they use is expensive and they can access adjustment programmes on your set not available to you if the set is ISF adjustable in the first place. On my panel such a calibration will also give the option of more pre-programmed settings.

Don't get me wrong, I personally find your comment spot-on but I have a feeling I may never know what the thing can do by trying to adjust the million or so settings myself. Having spent a lot on the panel another hundred or so quid won't make any difference (I won't pay £300) so I guess I will try one of the options I mentioned myself ... then I know ... and you will too as I would be the first one to admit I've just wasted some money!

That spider calibration thing does sound reasonable value for money if it works, I'll need some more info on it. Especially as I might also go the projector route. Two ISF calibrations really start to sound a tad expensive.

I could of course just go the my dealer I bought the set from and ask the exact settings of the demonstrator which bowled me over in the first place and apply them to mine after it's run in ... na, to easy.

regards

A

Anonymous

Hi

I also used the THX Optimizer 2.0 on my Panasonic 81B but could not set it up correctly so went to the standard set up on the Panasonic and adjusted that and have got a very good picture. One other thing found that if I left some lights on in the room or even had some candles going the black depth improved.

Best of luck.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Digitalpete:
Hi

... One other thing found that if I left some lights on in the room or even had some candles going the black depth improved.

Best of luck.

emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts