PROPER DIY TV CALIBRATION - BEFORE AND AFTER RESULTS

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
A subject that pops up on the forum at least once a week has something to do with how to calibrate your nice new TV so I thought I would share with those of you interested my personal results I gained with a little effort and a extra outlay of about £100 on equipment which IMHO seeing as most of us have spent thousands on our TVs and other equipment is a very small amount to spend to get it all working together as best as possible without shelling out for a ISF calibration. There is also the bonus that once you have your extra bits of equipment you can calibrate as many TVs as you wish to[:D]

Now here is what I used[8-|]

The starting point is a well known GREYSCALE guide I found online and the free colorHCFR software available online, a SPYDER 3 sensor, a copy of DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS and my laptop. All before readings were taken with my Samsung PS50P96FDX set at factory default using the MOVIE colour mode. I will show 3 graphs firstly before then after calibration and explain as best I can what is going on[Y] All adjustments on the TV will be made using normal user controls.

Here are my findings taking readings from 0-100 IRE before calibration[:D] (note most home sensors are not very acurate on readings of 20 IRE and below but errors in these darker values and not really visible to the eye)

One this first graph the colum to look at is the DELTA E as we are looking for errors under 3, and a lumance (FTL) of between 30-40FTL @100IRE The aim is also to have the RED GREEN AND BLUE reading on the left all @100

5434371366_64e73bc866_b.jpg

As you can see set to factory defaults we have large Delta errors accross the entire set of readings and a FTL reading of just over 31 which results is a lack of brightness in the overall picture from black to white. We can also see the RGB levels are nowhere near even. From these results it's clear the TVs defalut greyscale is not correct from the factory which will result in the TV not displaying colours correctly.

On this next graph the top readings show the seperate RED GREEN and BLUE values (the aim being all as close to the 100% line) the bottom of the graph displaying the Delta errors (aim being a straight line accross the 0 reading)

5434391118_22895450a1_b.jpg

We can clearly see from the top portion of this graph that from the factory the red green and blue readings are not only nowhere near the target line(D65) but we also have a very high red reading which will result in a red push in whites and general inballance in colours. The botom graph shows Delta errors so bad they are off the chart almost all the way from 0-100 IRE.

The final graph is for the colour temperature with the aim to have a straight line along the 6500k line

5434442014_05bd58e311_b.jpg

As we can see at the TVs factory default settings the colour temp is well below the target 6500K line.

All errors in these above readings CAN NOT BE ADJUSTED BY EYE! nor would using a THX test patern fix them!

The next 3 graphs are after using the mentioned guide and simple adjustments to the TVs CONTRAST,BRIGHTNESS and WHITE BALLANCE.

5433836485_4937ba3dc3_b.jpg

We can clearly see in this post calibration graph the the Delta errors above 20 IRE are consideribly lower than the factory default most displaying errors of well under 2, note the FTL reading at 100 IRE has gone up to over 35 and the RED GREEN and BLUE reading are now almost a perfect 100% each. These new readings result in a brighter image whith a very good grey scale producing a far better image over factory defaults[Y]

Now lets look at the RGB error graph

5434455710_4f4aaf1189_b.jpg

Here we can now clearly see that after calibration the RED GREEN and BLUE readings are not only far closer to the 100%(D65) line but also track each other more evenly, we now also have delta errors that actually show on the graph and near to the bottom which is the aim. Idealy the aim here is to have 2 rules flat lines on both graphs but the errors seen here very low and barely visible if at all in picture.

The last post calibrated graph is the Colour Temp graph.

5433847745_3f28a6d936_b.jpg

Again after calibration we can see the colour temp is now very close to the target 6500k and miles better across the 0-100 IRE range again resulting in vastly improved picture.

Now these results were gained by making adjustments at both 30 IRE and 80 IRE alone and with more time spent making adjustments at all points form 0-100 IRE even better results can be gained, but even after these adjustments so far the improvement in the TVs picture over its factory default is quite amazing[:D]

A

Anonymous

Nice one
emotion-21.gif

Although I've had mine ISF'd proffesionally, I've passed this on to my son who has a panny plasma.

Cheers.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
piobob:

Nice one
emotion-21.gif

Although I've had mine ISF'd proffesionally, I've passed this on to my son who has a panny plasma.

Cheers.

You can't beat propper ISF calibration if you can afford it but the way I have done it is definatly the next best way of calibrating your TV to the rest of your equipment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts