turntables vs. cd players

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi. just curious. why do others still prefer turntables over cd players, if only for pure listening (no scratching needed)? is the sound quality delivered by LP's better than CD's? as far as i remember, LP's (like cassette tapes) has a hiss sound. Please educate me. thank you.

A

Anonymous

In my experience, at their best, CDs provide less extraneous noise and LPs provide better music.

Bear in mind that the best CD player I have heard is the Naim CDS 2. It's possible that more recent players could change my mind - particularly as I have since had some high frequency hearing loss, which works in CD's favour.

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Background noise aside, a system using a turntable as a source is hugely more musical than a system using a CD player, regardless of price.

My personal view.

I concur - also, if you're under 30 the chances of you owning vinyl is, in the main, fairly remote, and therefore the fact that you can actually touch and feel (and read the writing without squinting) something that offers a certain mystique that CD just cannot muster.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I prefer to listen to vinyl when the orignal recording was analogue, especially given the lack of quality on a number of the ana-dig conversions. With modern recording I do not see the point in going from the digital domain to analogue, unless I am sure it has been done well.

I still on the whole prefer Vinyl to CD for listening, and while I accept that CD is less noisey, a deck and slab of vinyl still has the edge for listening pleasure on my set up, and a better Vinyl system would open that gap even wider.

A

Anonymous

As others above have said, and for me it is much more involving and has more of an effect on me, dunno why it just does. I certainly get more out of it............

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:but run better with less fuss - simple question what format is the majority of your music on?

Quite.

I bought a Project Debut on ebay about a year ago for £40 on a whim - for no other reason but to play the dozen or so LP's I've carried around the world with me (twice) but never played over the past 16 years. Sure, it's pretty rough around the edges, but you know what - it's not that bad compared to my cd player (rrp £1000), which considering the price differential is pretty shocking. The debut actually gets more out of the recording than the cdp does (to my ears), it's just that the extra detail (et al) has no refinement. Although I have no real knowledge of turntables, on this basis alone I reckon a 2nd hand turntable around the £300 mark would easily wipe the floor against the cdp.

But I have over 600 CD's, and about 20 LP's. I'd love to upgrade the Debut, but where would that leave me? I'm not going to be replacing 600 CD's with vinyl anytime soon, that's for sure.

And on a final note, CD's are a lot easier to handle after you've had a couple of glasses of wine!

A

Anonymous

hi everyone,

thanks a lot for unselfishly sharing your thoughts. after reading them all, i came into a conclusion - since there are different and contradicting beliefs - that there is actually no significant difference between SACD and LP quality. it depends to the listener what he preferred...a CD with better signal to noise (no hiss) or that unexplainable feelings with LPs. for me, since i already own a cd player, and trying to imagine the cost and inconvenience of maintaining a turntable, as well as the ease of handling CDs over LPs, i will stick to cd player only.

thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts