Turntable upgrade advice wanted

Sound Hound

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I'd be grateful for some advice about replacing or modifying my turntable, and I'm hoping someone knowledgeable on here can help?.

I'm thinking of replacing my current turntable, a used Roksan Radius 5. It's fitted with a newish Roksan Tabriz arm and new Hana SL MC cartridge via Furutech ADL GT40A phono stage/headphone amp. It all works fine and sounds pretty good, and I've fitted a new silicon belt which improved the speed stability, but the table is a bit old now, and could need a service. Roksan offer an upgrade service to bring it almost up to the spec of the latest model for £500, but I was thinking I could get a different, good quality second hand deck for that plus whatever I could sell mine for. I'd like to try and keep the Tabriz arm, and definitely the cartridge, however, I'm unsure what other makes the arm will fit without modifying armboards etc.

I'm considering models from Linn, Michell, and Nottingham Analogue. I want something that would offer a noticeable step-up in performance. Any helpful suggestions please?

Sound Hound said:
Hi

I'd be grateful for some advice about replacing or modifying my turntable, and I'm hoping someone knowledgeable on here can help?.

I'm thinking of replacing my current turntable, a used Roksan Radius 5. It's fitted with a newish Roksan Tabriz arm and new Hana SL MC cartridge via Furutech ADL GT40A phono stage/headphone amp. It all works fine and sounds pretty good, and I've fitted a new silicon belt which improved the speed stability, but the table is a bit old now, and could need a service. Roksan offer an upgrade service to bring it almost up to the spec of the latest model for £500, but I was thinking I could get a different, good quality second hand deck for that plus whatever I could sell mine for. I'd like to try and keep the Tabriz arm, and definitely the cartridge, however, I'm unsure what other makes the arm will fit without modifying armboards etc.

I'm considering models from Linn, Michell, and Nottingham Analogue. I want something that would offer a noticeable step-up in performance. Any helpful suggestions please?

I think and turntable that will take the old Rega column mount will take the Tabriz, which is worth upgrading to the Zi by the way.

Michell is the way to go in my opinion or anything by Origin Live, which is not on your list I realise.

Sound Hound

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi Al

Many thanks, I wasn't sure if the Roksan arm hole was the same as Rega but that's useful to know.

I'll check out the OL line-up, and the Zi upgrade. As to Michell, do you think the Gyrodec would be a step up, or would I need to stretch to the Orbe?

Sound Hound said:
Hi Al

Many thanks, I wasn't sure if the Roksan arm hole was the same as Rega but that's useful to know.

I'll check out the OL line-up, and the Zi upgrade. As to Michell, do you think the Gyrodec would be a step up, or would I need to stretch to the Orbe?

The hole sizes are not completely identical but only by a millimetre or so. Forget the Orbe, it's overrated compared th the Gyrodec itself. I am not saying it's not that good but pound per pound you will have little to beat the Gyro itself and can upgrade later if you want.

Note. If you cannot afford the complete Zi upgrade them the counterweight alone is worth doing. The cables and clamp are irrelevant if fitting to a non- Roksan turntable.

Sound Hound

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
"The hole sizes are not completely identical but only by a millimetre or so. Forget the Orbe, it's overrated compared th the Gyrodec itself. I am not saying it's not that good but pound per pound you will have little to beat the Gyro itself and can upgrade later if you want.

Note. If you cannot afford the complete Zi upgrade them the counterweight alone is worth doing. The cables and clamp are irrelevant if fitting to a non- Roksan turntable."

Many thanks for the input, that's really useful!

Sound Hound said:
"The hole sizes are not completely identical but only by a millimetre or so. Forget the Orbe, it's overrated compared th the Gyrodec itself. I am not saying it's not that good but pound per pound you will have little to beat the Gyro itself and can upgrade later if you want.

Note. If you cannot afford the complete Zi upgrade them the counterweight alone is worth doing. The cables and clamp are irrelevant if fitting to a non- Roksan turntable."

Many thanks for the input, that's really useful!

Any other input required feel free to ask. The Tabriz is a class arm, hang on to it.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site

The hole sizes are not completely identical but only by a millimetre or so. Forget the Orbe, it's overrated compared th the Gyrodec itself. I am not saying it's not that good but pound per pound you will have little to beat the Gyro itself and can upgrade later if you want.

Note. If you cannot afford the complete Zi upgrade them the counterweight alone is worth doing. The cables and clamp are irrelevant if fitting to a non- Roksan turntable.

[/quote]

I might cross you off my Christmas card list with that comment Al.
angry_smile.gif
*shok*

Lost Angeles said:

I might cross you off my Christmas card list with that comment Al. *shok*

[/quote]

:)

Was I ever on it? Whilst my comments may anger a few I can only say I am a b*gger for a bargain.

The Orbe is a class act but pound for pound I cannot seem to justify the cost differential without suitable upgrade to arm and cartridge as well ( assuming you are using something like a Technoarm A) on both.

Besides I like looking at the spinning weights. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts